1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I am assuming it's the same pair, but I guess only @Nick A can confirm...

2. Nick A

Nick A Senior member

It's the lighting. Also the indoors image was taken by the client so he would have used a different camera which changes the colours. All my Tumblr images are done with my iPhone.

3. JubeiSpiegel

Impressive, your iPhone pics are better than most pro camera pics i see online. :slayer:

I never like when people have to excuse their "crappy" iPhone pics, because i think the camera is just fine. Its all about the taking the time to lens focus and use the great lighting around you...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. Nick A

Nick A Senior member

Thanks. Now I need to learn photoshop so I can create some of the sample images like the ones you can do. It's like art and you are genius at it.

1 person likes this.
  5. JubeiSpiegel

Why thank you... :bigstar:

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

In some dank corner of some leather associations archives there may be a standard for what oxblood is supposed to look like. Dark, almost coffee colour with strong red coming through--that's what I've always called oxblood. It's not wine, it's not burgundy and the shoe pictured would probably be better identified as cognac than oxblood.

That said, everyone feels free to impose their own definitions of colour anymore, esp. with regard to variations of brown. And to compound all that, dye lots can be significantly different in colour, depending on how the dye strikes if nothing else.

I might note that the description says that G&G is experimenting with an "oxblood finishing"...which would suggest that they are antiquing with a deep reddish brown on cognac rather than that the whole shoe is oxblood.

7. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think we should all refer to the NCS color system. http://www.ncscolour.com/en/ That's clearly S 4550-Y70R in that picture. :hide:

8. JubeiSpiegel

Haha, fair enough, it is the lightest oxblood i have ever seen as well. Still like it though, and hopefully it's something they add to their MTO options list, like they do with their deco black calf bleaching...

9. DWFII

Good luck with that! :tinfoil:

BTW, what NCS colour would you designate oxblood? And what name would you give to the S 4550-Y70R...if you had to, that is. Curious.

The real problem is getting everyone to agree on a name for the colour because you're not going to evoke any images nor sell shoes with a NCS number.

For instance, the colour of the shoes might very well be S 4550-Y70R, but I've seen it called cognac, whiskey, caramel and tan. And as I mentioned the shoemaker is caught between a rock and a hard spot because a leather that he has bought and sold as cognac, will suddenly come in two or three shades darker or lighter, or with greenish overtone. According to the tannery, it's still cognac.

10. JubeiSpiegel

Color name assigning is a crap shot really. Consider how even a picture online will look slightly (or drastically different depending on monitor calibration) because of different brands, year, & technology in general. So, depending on how well trained your eye is to analyzing images and colors, you might have several interpretations of perceived colors for any given leather. You will be surprised how little a layman can actually see or describe of a given object they are looking at. It takes time to teach the mind to stop taking everything it sees as arbitrary objects, and actually see what is in front of them (which i suspect is why most people can't draw, same principals apply).

This is one of those things that falls more into the artistic (difficult to quantify) category, instead of a measurable one IMO...

2 people like this.
  11. DWFII

Must be a congenital defect, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

:satisfied:

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

That color is nowhere close to the color of Ox' blood. It's at most cognac.

13. JubeiSpiegel

I would consider the bleached sections cognac like, but the rest of the show is closer to a burgundy or their rioja color. It looks like they mixed their vintage cherry with their vintage rioja, and this is what they came up with...

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Mixing two lights and call it a dark. Interesting.

15. JubeiSpiegel

1 person likes this.
  16. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

[​IMG]
    I received this handsome pair of Rothschilds in "Antique Oak" as a gift. Unfortunately never got to wear them as they are too small. Put them up on the auction site.

Oh well….

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  17. JubeiSpiegel

That is a sad story, are you looking to get another pair in a bigger size?

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hopefully you guys aren't planning to bleed out an ox in order to settle this debate

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

Not that I want to be serious but I do want to see samples or prototypes before placing order. I think you do too.

Not saying the color isn't great looking. But it's simply not my idea of Ox blood, physical or metaphorical.

20. JubeiSpiegel

Agreed, more examples are needed, but i quite like it. Whatever color they decided to call it.

Actually, I would like to know how they approached this, and how/if they plan to offer it as a MTO leather choice. I am not quite sure if it is their patina artist doing their thing, a similar bleaching process such as their Deco black, or heavy burnishing from a lighter leather such as vintage rioja?