• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amigos:

Picked my MTOs up today. A couple of cosmetic things weren't done, but I didn't want to send them back and wait for 2 months to have them done. So, I brought them home and just took them out for some photos to share with y'all, when I discovered this:

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Looks like maybe the welt was not stitched correctly on the heel. Can we see pics of the welt stitching on that heel?

Itsuo

Reaction score

Yeah wish there were more wider widths more readily available as pretty much every shoe I have is longer than it needs to be but any size smaller and width and my flat feet have issues.

I have ths same issue with width, I feel like short of an MTO I'm mostly stuck... One interesting option is Nick at Bespoke England stocks limited RTW models in a wide width. Options are extremely limited compared to regular stock, but at least they're options. I'm currently working with him on securing my first G&Gs.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ red - :(

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ red -
frown.gif

Yeah, a little disappointed. In other news:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Looks like maybe the welt was not stitched correctly on the heel. Can we see pics of the welt stitching on that heel?
I think G&G only welt waist to waist so theres no welt at the heel.
Amigos: Picked my MTOs up today. A couple of cosmetic things weren't done, but I didn't want to send them back and wait for 2 months to have them done. So, I brought them home and just took them out for some photos to share with y'all, when I discovered this:
Looks like the heels are not set properly and need to be either remake or hammer down.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Close as I can get.
I think G&G only welt waist to waist so theres no welt at the heel. Looks like the heels are not set properly and need to be either remake or hammer down.
Agreed. It doesn't look like a 360 degree welt so the welt ends at the waist. I think if you alert your G&G vendor, they can send it back for rehabilitation. I recently had a pair of G&G bespoke shoes resoled. Their rehabilitation skills are impressive to say the least - they even fixed some cracks on the upper.

jas0nt

Reaction score

Are the G&G lasted shoe trees worth it? I'm a little skeptical about paying >130 USD a pair

It might look nice but anyone claiming lasted shoe trees outperforms non-lasted ones would have rocks in their heads.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It doesn't look like a 360 degree welt so the welt ends at the waist. I think if you alert your G&G vendor, they can send it back for rehabilitation.

I recently had a pair of G&G bespoke shoes resoled. Their rehabilitation skills are impressive to say the least - they even fixed some cracks on the upper.

Indeed, I have no doubt they can remedy quite easily, as well as address the couple of other items that weren't done. Though, do I want to wait another 2-3 months (factory holiday, including the move to the new factory) or just wait until they need the first resole, then have that and the other items addressed? This doesn't seem likely to affect durability in the near term, although if someone thinks otherwise, let me know.

As stichy would "say," moar [quickly taken iPhone] pictars:

emiristol

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback with regard to the lasted shoe trees--I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Rothschilds in Dark Oak, but I'm not very familiar with G&G's lasts, and I can't find that many applicable comparisons in this thread. I fit into 7.5D AEs, 6.5E 7000 last JLs, 6.5F 109F AS. Carmina's Simpson in 6.5 is a bit narrow in the front area of the foot (near the toes). From what I see here, I'm under the impression that a 7.0E in the DG70 last would be best for me, but I'd like some other opinions.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lovely shoes, red. hope you get them back soon.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I'm half size up from AS and JL; same size as EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads