1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Seamless wholecuts in chestnut hatch grain leather, with a patina to take the color to a very dark brown as it gets close to the sole. I haven't had a chance to wear them yet because it is pouring in NYC, but the finishing and look are really incredible and the pictures don't do them justice at all. The hatch grain leather gets stretched and distorted in various places in a seamless shoe and creates a look that I really like (however, if you want the hatching to stay true, this wholecut certainly wouldn't be the style for you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Very nice. How do these bespoke fit compare to RTW?

Hatch grain pattern all get slightly distorted at toe or heel areas abide not as bad as whole cuts.

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I am counting the hours to receiving a nice MTM hatch boot pair from The House of G&G today. I should have some photo goodies this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A conventional whole-cut (seam at the back) is not different from any other shoe, it is the seamless whole-cut that needs ruthless manipulation of the leather.

[​IMG]

http://therakeonline.com/atelier-lu...girling-bespoke-4-the-unique-lasting-process/

Here is a photo-essay from The Rake that shows Daniel, the talented Mr Wegan from G&G lasting a seamless whole-cut. Notice the initial excessive folds of leather. They have to be lasted into smaller and smaller folds until the leather covers the last smoothly. (In a conventional whole-cut all that excess is cut away.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^how remarkable, thanks for posting

6. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I haven't had much of a chance to test the fit because it has been raining non-stop in NYC, but from a test drive on my apartment floor I'm very happy. My feet are almost a full size different but I didn't notice any slippage on the smaller foot. They are snug around the foot, which is what I asked for and the heel lines up perfectly. G&G RTW aren't a great fit for me in the lasts that I've tried so I have no doubt that the comparison will be night and day.

Generally, I'm pretty confident that this will work out well. I called Tony when I saw a picture of my shoes on G&G's tumblr because I was a little concerned about the appearance (they look almost red on the Tumblr ). Tony basically said that all he cared about was getting the fit right and that they would modify anything with which I wasn't satisfied. These guys are the real deal. I think that they not only understand that for this kind of money the customer should be happy, but also that they care deeply about their product and can't stomach the thought that they could have done it better. So a really good experience so far.

1 person likes this.
  7. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

G&G modified Gable inbound

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

@agjiffy
    I saw your shoes on GG's tumbler as well, they look fantastic, enjoy.

Yes, GG goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy customer, not just for bespoke. As was evident when i blundered the deco finish on my MTO shoes, and they worked to get it back for me. I am quite excited to meet Dean at their NYC trunk show, and maybe some GG bespoke is in my future as well...

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Looks like mine, but on a different last. I'd love to get them in black one day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That sounds awesome. How did you darken them? Any chance you have a picture?

13. grc1

grc1 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to think mine are the originals - ordered early in 2013, received in September 2013, maiden voyage in October 2013. Though it's of course entirely possible for the design to be conceived independently by various parties, as it is a design "tweak." I really enjoy seeing it replicated in various versions!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  14. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

That's correct, your pair was the inspiration GRC. Sorry, but I couldn't recall the name of the original

Sure I do. There are progress pics around. I'll get some up or pm them over the weekend.

2 people like this.
  15. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

MTO casual boot bonanza time.

Model: Thorpe
    Last: GG06
    Colour: vintage rioja
    Sole: Ridgeway
    Smell: oh boy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. tdude

tdude Senior member

The boots look awesome!

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

+1. Some serious soles on those puppies, too. Terrific pair.

18. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Thanks Itsuo, it's size 6F. Not sure if that is really my size but it's fairly comfortable. Also, I didn't apply the shine but I was told it was sapphire burgundy wax.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. kydy

kydy Member

Beautiful pictures, I am so happy to see them in good hands, Yes it's saphir burgundy wax and u may also use saphir mahogany if you want the Cherry stand out more.

Wear in good health!

1 person likes this.
  20. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Just got this in the mail yesterday from Nick

Saint James II in deco last and color 8 Horween Shell Cordovan.

Am extremely pleased with the outcome and the shell finishing is the best I've seen thus far. Especially really like the red undertones on the caps and heel counters. They kind of disappear indoors though. And of course...the waist on the deco last. Love it!!!

Wanted to personally thank Nick as I know it's not easy to get GG to work with shell cordovans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    10 people like this.