1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I agree, the heel slippage goes away for me as the soles flex with wear so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue for you.

2. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

it's his first relatively high-end shoe, he doesn't need to settle for a hopefully.
    agreed, a slight bit of slippage does dissipate with wear but don't burn the guy out right off the bat
    if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit.

1 person likes this.
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

GG has always fit like a glove on me. its a great feeling to put them on and experience that perfect marriage between shoe and foot. i wouldnt bother with insoles, atleast not on a pair of G&G. i would return and try again after a proper fitting

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

doesnt a piece of you just die when you look down and see insoles inside your shoes? i mis sized a pair of vass shell and while they fit great with insoles, i can only appreciate them half-heartedly

5. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

I agree, same with the new Barclays. Fit like a glove. Always very supple leather/suede on G&Gs, much more so than EG or JL. i would not tolerate heel slippage. At G&G prices I want a good fit, rather settle for a little tight than a little too big when new.

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

Indeed it does, I feel the same way about toe plates.

7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I can totally see where you're coming from, but I haven't minded it when I had to use the insoles (only in 2 out of like 30+ pairs so far, so pretty low percentage). I've been happy with the improved fit when using those insoles, so I was happy to overlook the fact that an insole was needed to get a better fit.

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

G&G's also fit like a glove for me, which is great. But from Ironist's description, it seems like he's either in between sizes, or just needs to break in the double sole.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

They're double leather? Then hopefully they'll flex better after more wear. The bigger concern, IMO, is the instep area. Maybe it's just not the best last to try. G&G fits we well (a close second to EG) but I can relate about just being a tad big/small with other brands in the past.

Good luck with the Hoves @ironist

10. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

I agree. Those are fantastic.

11. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

this may not be the most appropriate place to do this bbbuuuttttt, if anyone is interested in this shoe in a 10 E
    I will sell them for what I paid + shipped free conus. Unworn and not even tried on really,
    I'm just not crazy about the color.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Honestly, after seeing the hatch grain samples in person, i was unsure about how the finishing would look or feel. I went with the boring safe choice.

Unfortunately, i have to send my Hoves back to have the heel stack looked at. It makes lots of noise in the heel stack as I step, so loud that i can't even take them to work anymore without sounding like an old rocking chair. What a pain, I guess we are both without Hoves... :facepalm:

13. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

I have the sinatras in hatch and like them a lot. Trying to decide between The Hoves and Oakhams for my next pair.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Do both, that's what i did... :nodding:

15. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Lol I might. I do have a nice 3Q bonus coming here soon.

16. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

@wurger
    @dpprdr
    @MacktasticGDogg
    @sogent
    @namor
    @tomrakewell

Thanks guys, my big issue was trying to figure out what an ideal fit feels like to other people and how a proper fitting GG shoe should feel. I think you guys helped clear that up. I think I'm feeling more confident about placing an order for a few more shoes this weekend (god help me).

However, I'm thinking of skipping the two RTW shoes and hopping on a plane to NY to see bestetti in October as it seems like I may have difficult feet that require lower than average instep, wider at the ball, higher toe box, narrow heels, and lower arch and a length that is inbetween 6 and 6.5. I am probably overthinking all of this though...

Feel free to skip the rest as it's just my observations in trying to achieve a perfect fit...

Like wurger said, I have a 6E UK EG Chelsea. I also tried a 5.5E UK wigmore way back in January and it was obvious that it was too small. Usually I go with the equivalent to 7 US since it is safe and it will never be too small to wear albeit usually with some heel slip. In majority of my other shoes (Vass, KW, Kiton) I found they fit better after trying the Tacco insoles that NAMOR suggested. Some are too tight in the toebox afterwards and the insole sometimes causes my foot to be too high to properly fit the heel cup so it is never ideal. Also, tongue pads are the most unsightly thing ever and I feel like I ruined my Vass shoes by sticking them in there.

That being said, the hoves did fit a little better the second time around as I was able to wear it without a tongue pad and I think there was less heel slip than the first time. I like it because it feels like my toes have more wiggle room and the pinky toe is the only toe almost touching the edge. However, it's still not ideal and I'm not sure how it will fare after walking for miles. It feels like there is a 1mm gap between the heel cup and my foot.

When it comes to the fit with 6E UK shoes, unlike 6.5E shoes, I don't have a problem with the instep at all. I'm not sure if going down half a size changes the instep but it sure seems that way. There is also no heel slip and it does feel like gloves for my feet. However, it does seem slightly too short as two of my toes barely touch the edge of the shoe and I can sense that it is tighter in the area where the vamp and instep intersect (the throat?). Usually it's pretty comfortable but if I walk for a long period of time, but once I felt like the top of the vamp was cutting into my feet when I walked and hasn't happened since.

Generally, the issue is that my toes can barely move when I wear the shoes and I read Ron Rider say that a proper fitting shoe should be like placing one palm in the other and squeezing the side while allowing the fingers to move. My toes just aren't that free so it seems like sizing up is always more comfortable because of the breathing room.

However, from what I read, it seems like it might be an issue with last as people generally seem to say that GG shoes are tight so I infer that a more relaxed fit may indiciate improper sizing.

17. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Finally they're breaking in as I wear them regularly for short amounts of time!
    Hopefully they'll last for many years to come!:)

18. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

Second time wearing my new Barclays. Love 'em ..
    .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  20. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Does anyone know if GG last MH71 is wider than TG73?

I am mostly concerned about the toe box. The TG73 seem to have a sharper taper which I currently own and if the MH71 is wider by just a bit it would be even better