1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

No need, in stock.

1 person likes this.
  3. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

need advice please took delivery of a pair of these & find them to be a fairly lifeless red toned mid brown
    what do you think . . . . a heavy burgundy / dark brown wax mix & darken the toe with a burgundy / black
    or just return them ?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

This is bloody priceless, this is golden! My favourite quote from this year on SF. It describes our weird and wonderful reality so well!

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Is something wrong with the finish, or you just don't like the leather color in general right now?

Some pics would help, as well as what you are hoping to get the color to look like...

6. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

no, nothing wrong with the finish or the shoe
    I'm just trying to decide if I want to darken the red tone or return them

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

returning overseas is a pain. if the only reservation is color, just burnish the toe a little

8. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Waiting on my vintage oak tg73 Mayfair from leatherfoot. Will be my first g&g, pretty excited

9. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

These bad boys? They are pretty sweet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

love these - what last?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  11. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

You might want to try some Saphir Mahogany wax. I've seen some of the results of other users here and they look pretty good.

12. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

DG70.

13. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

That's what I call a double monk. And the double monk space is crowded with some great competitors from eg and jl

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

15. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Where are all the cheap RL GG shoes coming from? Noticed an upsurge on B&S and ebay.

16. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

There's quite a lot of cheap RL EG shoes on ebay as well. Maybe a couple of RL outlets got liquidated.

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

How did you size? Did you get the fit right? HOVES LOOK GREAT!

1 person likes this.
  18. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

KW Shoe trees. I don't think I pushed them all the way down but yes, not a perfect fit but very good. I'd say 90% of a lasted shoe for 25% of the price.

If you do keep them and burnish them at home, please post before and after pics!

Thanks, it's killing me, these are 6.5E UK but I can't figure out whether 6E UK or 6.5E UK fits better. I seriously think I'm 6.25E UK... I get some slight heel slip in these and the instep is just very slightly too high. It might have been better if it wasn't a derby, I don't know. If my feet were just like 2mm larger I think I wouldn't get any heel slip. I like the extra room in the toe box and it seems my pinky toe is almost at the edge of the shoe while my other toes are free to move and don't touch the edge. Could probably use a more narrow heel too.

Oh man, it's pretty bad lol. I don't even know how to be a normal functioning member of society anymore since my reality is pretty warped now. Things I think are very normal and sane by SF standards are viewed as very strange by normal people standards. Like if I wear galoshes, people always notice them and never fail to comment... and if I wear boots to work instead, I have to explain the shoe trees, the horn, the bag, and well... it's kind of tiresome having to explain everything you do so people don't think you're some kind of freak lol.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Ironist, if you can fit in to an EG UK 6E, which you have a Chelsea, your true size is UK6 for EG and GG, and uk 5.5 for most other brands....

20. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

Seems like you could probably use one of those thin Tacco insoles. They work great for me on shoes that are slightly big. Also, I think your heel slip should subside a bit once the double sole breaks in.