• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the rubber sole on your Wigmore.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate looking out gentlemen. It was a passing urge nothing more. :) One more week to avoid temptation... my fiance would kill me if I bought a pair or two right before we move. :hide:

Anyone have a vintage chestnut vis-a-vis a vintage pine? Curious to see how much difference there is between the colors. I could always go with the racing green... :fonz:

Racing green goes with the earth tones and grays I assume. Can't picture them with the blue suits...

I have worn my green bontonis with navy and I definitely prefer them more with greys and earth tones. I dont mind them with blue though.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really should stay off SF, couldn't resist and now the 6.5 section is missing a pair....

The only consolation for my credit card is that I hold out on the lasted shoe trees. I have a few extra woodlore shoe trees, since I retired a lot of shoes due my recent Alfred Sargent purchases that came with free lasted shoe trees. After testing out both lasted and generic ones, while lasted trees do look awesome, but the generic ones do the job as well. I guess for me, shoe trees' main purpose is not to fill every inch of the inside of the shoe but to level the sole out again and so pull the creases out of the vamp, which all come back once I put the shoes on my feet and start to walk.

But then, a pair of 700 pound shoes probably deserves a pair of lasted shoe trees to complement them.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I've read similar opinions from The Shoe Snob blog, but I do worry about warping the shape of high end shoes with generic trees. Might have to post this on the leather thread.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the reason for my is purely the extra money I have to pay.

As for the shape, the from the vamp to the toe, that's the most shape defining parts of the shoe, but they should never deform no matter how you wear the shoes, and I guess that is where the exact shape of the lasted shoe tree will fill in those parts perfectly.

From vamp to the heel counter, the upper should wrap around our feet, so I am not too fussed about keeping the exact shape for that area.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for those who've ordered from Bespoke England. For the Wigmore there is an option to place an order for a delivery in three months if they don't currently have your size in stock. Do they charge you the full amount upon receipt of your order or are you charged only after the shoes are completed and ready to ship? For a regular MTO I know it's 50% up front and the remaining 50% upon completion of the shoes but I'm not sure these qualify as a real MTO as there is no upcharge.

Also, has any Canadians ordered from them? How much were the custom/duties? While the sale prices are attractive customs/duties are no joke.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congrats, wurger. look forward to seeing what you got.

rdaws

Reaction score
Well, thanks to this enabling bunch I just picked up the last pair of Walktons in my size -- since it's my first time with G&G I only picked up the one pair. If they get here before the discount code runs out and I love 'em, I'm gonna have to pick up another couple pair.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, thanks to this enabling bunch I just picked up the last pair of Walktons in my size -- since it's my first time with G&G I only picked up the one pair. If they get here before the discount code runs out and I love 'em, I'm gonna have to pick up another couple pair.

Congraz on the purchase, hope you get a good fit.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a big package from from the post office today...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads