1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Wigmores yesterday. Finally, boot season is on the way! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The classic Wigmore combo, very nice.

Regarding boot weather, I must be mad to wear my boots year round here in Florida. To be fair, we only really get two seasons out of every year...

3. JubeiSpiegel

An example of excellent customer service from GG:

I had recently applied some black cream to my deco black Wigmores, only to realize that the cream had covered up the bleached toe effect a bit. In my ignorance, i applied some shoe shampoo to the tips, in an attempt to remove some of the black cream. It resulted in the stripping down of the finish on the toes. In my defense, the shoe shampoo is not as strong as reno-mat, and i did not think it would have this harsh of an effect on the crust leather finish. Either way, my mistake, and a lesson harshly learned.

After some attempts to correct this by applying some more cream and wax, it was apparent that the bleaching effect will be once again lost, and the toes remained in a matte gloss condition. This is when i turned to GG and sent them an email. I asked if they had any suggestions, or if they would be willing to fix and re-apply the deco finish, at my expense of course. Dean promptly replied in less than 12 hours, and offered to fix them pro bono (as long as i cover shipping back).

With all of the negative take about GG's high prices & value, i though this would be a good example of what great customer service GG offers. It encourages me to order another shoe, because this kind of service deserves some gratitude on my part. Thanks you Dean, and thank you GG, it is truly appreciated... :worship2:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Nice! Yeah things like that really means a lot, when they do care about their customers. I have a friend who's going to order a bespoke pair from a maker, but he has a hard time deciding if he should go for a shoe or boot (you need to make different lasts for those different types of footwear). So the company offered to take measures for both types and make two test shoes, one pair of shoes and one pair of boots, which mean he didn't have to decide until after the fitting and would give him more time to think his decision through. At no extra cost. Really a kind gesture to the client.

1 person likes this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Dean's a nice a guy. He fitted me in Toronto a few months back and was a great guy to chat with.

6. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

7. JubeiSpiegel

That is a great story, and that bespoke maker deserves your friend's patronage. Heck, i want to order bespoke from this maker now!

8. JubeiSpiegel

I really need to go to a GG trunk show some day, i owe both Dean & Tony a handshake. Cause as we all know, an SF member is no easy customer, and i have asked them for the moon at times and they have delivered (small hiccups not withstanding).

I am inspired to order that deco black Arran i wanted. Depending of how much i like the Hove on the MH71 last that is on it's way, I might get it on that last instead of the TG73...

9. laufer

laufer Senior member

Well the next trunk show is in October hop on the plane and fly to NY, the airfare from FL must be dirt cheap.

10. JubeiSpiegel

Don't tempt me, i might be able to make that happen, flights seem to be under $300 around that time...

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Gable in midnight blue (wooden trees are coming):

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Mayhem at the gg sample sale at Timothy Everest this morning. Tiny room with unsorted shoeboxes and one out one in door policy. Pretty good selection across the spectrum for 250-450. Scored a pair of wigmore seconds for 250.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, it was a feeding frenzy. I had to wait in line for 30 minutes. It was well worth the wait though.

14. grc1

grc1 Senior member

I got there just after 8 and you'd have thought the iphone 6 had gone on limited release. Once inside, it was mayhem, but in a very polite, SF-appropriate manner. Blissful, other than that some meanie obviously got in before me and walked off with a bunch of 9.5Es that I'm SURE were mine ...

... though to the unknown visionary who ordered a pair of Deco Fairbanks in maple calf, you have my undying thanks - your first-quality-rejected understudy has now found a good home for £450 :slayer:

Wish they were my size, you scored a good one!

15. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Morning all. So I have just returned from my visit to the sale in London.

Arrived just after 8am and queued for just over an hour before getting in. Queue was not horrendously long but with the event taking place in a tailoring house (in three small rooms), a limited number of people could be let in at a time.

Beautiful, beautiful shoes as one would expect. However when I arrived, as opposed to sizes being displayed together, it was a mish-mash and down to you to search around the boxes in the room and hope to find your size (apparently upon opening time it was organised but boxes soon get moved around).

I managed to find two pairs that were in my size (9E) and purchased them both. Will post a picture a little later on but were a Grant wholecut and Connaught wingtip. I don't believe there was a 'max number per person' so some popular sizes might get cleared quickly if someone was to buy in bulk. Was excellent to meet Tony and Dean too who were extremely helpful.

Apologies to those of you who have asked to proxy but at the time I was there, it was quite manic and would have been difficult to rummage around for different sizes / styles.

Good luck to anyone else attending the sale.

As an aside, Everest had a lot of shirts (£20) and ties and pocket squares (£5). They had a small amount of jackets (£50) and suits were going for £75 (absolute bargain if they have your size). However, unfortunately most of the suits had been taken.

1 person likes this.
  16. JubeiSpiegel

17. LS7

LS7 Senior member

I was there around 7:40am and found myself about 15th in the queue. I'd echo the sentiments above about the slightly chaotic nature of the sale, although it was all good natured competitiveness between gentlemen. Dean was a bit annoyed that too many customers were being allowed to enter at once. Finding the correct sizes proved to be rather difficult since they were not strictly ordered like the EG pop-up sale.

I picked up a Mayfair double monk specifically to offer as a proxy here (since I'm not a monks guy). 10E on the MH71 last in Vintage Oak - £450. I'll post some pics up shortly.

If you're an 8D get down there for a stunning Thorpe boot in Tan scotchgrain. In fact 8-9 seemed to be the best size range selection available.

For myself I scored an Vintage Oak Arran on double leather sole, plus a Wells in Chestnut Hatch Grain.

18. laufer

laufer Senior member

Congratulation. That is a really nice haul, especially Wells. I have brogue in Rioja Hatch Grain but I think hatch grain looks better on plain models.

19. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Congrats on the find! That Arran should look pretty sharp!

20. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I think there were only 2-3 suits, and only one of any particular item. I got a suit, two pairs of bespoke trousers, a cardigan and a handful of pocket squares and a knit tie.

Shoes were a bit crazy and I could see very little in my size. I may venture back tomorrow if things are quieter.