• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, you know what they say..."Americans know the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Just sayin'

ha oh well, slapped by the old man, I am not American, I am from the thrifty part of the world (or cheap)...

scatterbrain

Reaction score
After some cleaning and polishing:
9244616542_8c8f0ccf42.jpg

Thanks again to a neighbor up north!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Glad to help! I'm happy to see that the toe came out so nice. I can't even tell!

This was my first time seeing G&G shoes in person. Between seeing them in person and seeing the pics posted in this thread, I am definitely going to buy myself a pair... in around 10 years.
colgate.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ha oh well, slapped by the old man, I am not American, I am from the thrifty part of the world (or cheap)...

No slap...I am an American. But, on the other hand, if you're not, what does that say?

:tinfoil:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think there is something to say about the options for the educated consumer as well.

It is far easier for iGents like us to acquire GGs from England, saving a little bit in return, and getting the model we definitely wanted. At around 1k (ex. from Bespoke England) that is a fair price for the exact model i would wanted. At around 1.2K, i think GG MTO prices are quite fair, especially considering how much they allow you to customize.
Having said that, i would not be persuaded to buy GGs at Barneys for 1.2K retail, in a model i didn't love and a size that was not my exact one. Honestly, as an informed Barneys customer, it would be hard to swallow buying GGs (or JL for that matter) at any other time than their yearly markdown sale.
Like i mentioned before, i don't mind paying full price for a pair of GGs, without compromise in style and fit. Not necessarily a matter of value in the brand, but in the circumstance...

oh i definitely agree. if im paying full price for the model i want, im going with nick. no question about it. even if the same thing was available at barneys for a little less id still go with nick. outside of these 60% off deals id feel like i was cheating buying from anyone else.

also, while i cant quite put my finger on it. ime, the MTOs are of a better quality, and have a nicer finish, than the RTW from barneys.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh i definitely agree. if im paying full price for the model i want, im going with nick. no question about it. even if the same thing was available at barneys for a little less id still go with nick. outside of these 60% off deals id feel like i was cheating buying from anyone else.

also, while i cant quite put my finger on it. ime, the MTOs are of a better quality, and have a nicer finish, than the RTW from barneys.

I tried on a few pairs a couple weeks ago at Barneys in SF and their shoes had so many flaws that it made me really appreciate the manufacture being the only one touching my shoes.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some Barclays in mole suede from the sale at Leffot.

Need to get that pant leg (re)-hemmed...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Picked up some Barclays in mole suede from the sale at Leffot. Need to get that pant leg (re)-hemmed...
Nice, by the way is Barclay basically the same thing as Chelsea except the toe (not sure how you call, V-captoe)?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice shoes, frills.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, by the way is Barclay basically the same thing as Chelsea except the toe (not sure how you call, V-captoe)?

You know, they certainly do look alike. I'll need to compare them side by side to make sure.

nice shoes, frills.

Thanks, Stitchy. I quite like it, very comfortable. And that nano suede protector really works, hahaha:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where to kop nano protector?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You know, they certainly do look alike. I'll need to compare them side by side to make sure. Thanks, Stitchy. I quite like it, very comfortable. And that nano suede protector really works, hahaha:
looks pretty amazing, does it work for calf as well, or just suede? edit: though I guess for calf I would need to worry about future polish since there is a protection layer on it already...

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where to kop nano protector?

Got mine from Leffot, but I suppose it's available in many other places. Google Tarrago nano suede protector - probably available via amazon haha.
looks pretty amazing, does it work for calf as well, or just suede?

edit: though I guess for calf I would need to worry about future polish since there is a protection layer on it already...

Supposedly works for leather and other textiles too. Haven't tried it. Want to spray it on my head and face and walk out into the thunderstorm. Probably not the healthiest thing to do.

There's a video from Leffot that demo's it too, but of course it's a "marketing" video. Hot coffee! But when I tried it myself, I was pretty amazed. Hahaha!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, mang. ill look into it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Got mine from Leffot, but I suppose it's available in many other places. Google Tarrago nano suede protector - probably available via amazon haha. Supposedly works for leather and other textiles too. Haven't tried it. Want to spray it on my head and face and walk out into the thunderstorm. Probably not the healthiest thing to do. There's a video from Leffot that demo's it too, but of course it's a "marketing" video. Hot coffee! But when I tried it myself, I was pretty amazed. Hahaha!
haha hot coffee as well, might as well apply to the sole in that case though I wonder if it will become slippery...

Goodman

Reaction score
I got the nano protector for my St. Tropez Mole Suede's I got from Barney's at Leffot as well. I was actually pretty skeptical about the video but Steve said it was legit. Clee gladly drank the kool-aid - glad it's legit. Having seen both videos still won't try it myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics