• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fritzl

In the respect that the old stuff is very dry and not too pliable, the new stuff looks similar to RL but will not dry out so easily. Plus Tony said its a better leather in his opinion

ah, ok.

what's RL?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anyone else find the G&G sharp round, sharp square, deco and (most) bespoke lasts to be comically elongated?

yes

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Kolecho

An Andy Warhol loafer in chestnut Gator

Likely a Norwegian ala Dover in Maple/Brandy calf.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kolecho

An Andy Warhol loafer in chestnut Gator

Likely a Norwegian ala Dover in Maple/Brandy calf.

i fairly hope you'll take a better archetype.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get some opinions on which, if any, G&G is 'iconic'? - if such a thing is possible for a co only a few yrs in operation.

And for G&G owners - after a few months of possession, which G&G do you think of as a 'go to' kinda 'can't live without' shoe?

thx!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can I get some opinions on which, if any, G&G is 'iconic'? - if such a thing is possible for a co only a few yrs in operation.

And for G&G owners - after a few months of possession, which G&G do you think of as a 'go to' kinda 'can't live without' shoe?

thx!

I think that moreso than a particular shoe, I think their lasts are iconic - specifically the 71 and 73.

For a go to shoe? I can't live without my Westminsters.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Westminster - and the Woburn (derby) is similar. I can see that, but square's not me, more a 70 smart round guy.

the Rosthchild looks close to perfect IMO in vintage rioja or rosewood

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thx!

for me there are perhaps 12 shoes i like whihc are G&G, but what does it for me is G&G are perhaps the only English maker willing to push the craft forward

moreover, when you see shoes like these IRL you cant just help but go wow

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf5-1-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf9-1-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf10-1-1.jpg

i am sure there are other makers shoes which will have the same effect, but Delos dont travel :(

also dont forget Tony worked for Cleverleys for 6-7 years and then how ever long he ran the EG bespoke operation and Dean worked for John Lobb, yes as a company they have only been together since 2006, but it does not take their recent history as all they have done

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

but what does it for me is G&G are perhaps the only English maker willing to push the craft forward

care to explain?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

for me there are perhaps 12 shoes i like whihc are G&G, but what does it for me is G&G are perhaps the only English maker willing to push the craft forward

moreover, when you see shoes like these IRL you cant just help but go wow

i am sure there are other makers shoes which will have the same effect, but Delos dont travel :(

As much as I like G&G, I suspect that's a bit overstated.

Stylistically, perhaps. And there's not many makers that finish their shoes to the high degree that G&G do; not many that can pull it all together with such finesse and grace. Impeccable craftsmanship.

That said, GY welting always pushes the "craft" / Trade / shoe backward.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Would you say the same if Stitchy only wore dress shoes once a week? Or once a month?

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Is that true, Stitch? :eh:

DLKY

Reaction score

G&G Trunk Show 26th August @ The Armoury Hong Kong

this is the pixlated picture of the shoe that Tony sent me before

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf3-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf5-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf6-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf9-1.jpg

NewSampleSeamlessWCRussianCalf11-1.jpg

Thats a great looking shoe, funny enough, I have been talking to the guys at Saint Crispin's for a wholecut in the new russian calf, but wasnt sure if it'll look good on a wholecut :) According to Mr Car, their russian calf is made from cow leather but treated with a high fat portion which makes it soft and nearly water resistant.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
The stuff from cow leather is not Russia Leather, its a new look a like. The original was tanned in Russia from Reindeer hides

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads