Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. cgo

cgo Senior member

Thanks. They fit nice on the left foot but my right foot is smaller so it will always be a looser fit on the right foot. Will just have to compensate it

Yes I had this MTO with Edward of Manchester during their sales. Once G&G has finished the shoes and shipped it to Edward, they shipped them to me with very fast shipping. Two days from England to Australia

2. cgo

cgo Senior member

I didnt notice any bad finish on my shoes except some wax residue. Would you mind elaborating the bad finish?

Thanks

3. styledamage

styledamage Well-Known Member

Had a really bad experience at the EG london store for MTO.

Only dealing with G&G from now on.

4. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Sir, mind sharing your experience?

5. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

They are a bunch of muppets. Took a 400 pound deposit from me on a pair of MTO, six weeks later emailed to say they are having technical problems and cant make that shoe....can I choose another model? WTF!!! I had to get a full refund, and the card company screwed me on the conversion rate. Took a few weeks to get all my money back. they must think they're doing us all a favour by selling us their shoes.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

There was a similar, long discussion on this topic a few months back. EGs reputation is getting a beating on the forum.

7. styledamage

Their general attitude is disgusting. I asked my wife to call them while I was at work to say that I'll be changing my MTO on the weekend; so put my order on hold. The sales assistant just said "OK, bye" and forgot to put the phone down when my wife heard him say "hold that order, he's coming to change it on the weekend" in a very sarcastic tone. I'm not one to complain; but I would expect a level of service when i'm spending £800+ on shoes. Never again.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Not just EG; I think this attitude comes across in a lot of places, and varies a great deal depending on who you deal with. After all, had the retail assistant called to discuss, explained in detail, apologised profusely, offered a discount or free trees or something in recognition of the inconvenience...I'm sure the story would have a different tone.

The bigger the company, the worse the service, sometimes at least, but if you have good staff at the customer interface stage, you can manage cock-ups very successfully. I'm sure (I know!) many on this forum turn their noses up at the relatively ordinary shoes available from Herring or Pediwear. But having ordered from both those companies, I know how much difference good people makes. Excellent service makes me want to buy from them, because I know if they're wrong, they'll make an effort to make it right and give the impression that my paltry custom matters a damn. Actual makers with more SF cred, like Vass and Carmina, have the same standing. What they all have in common is that they are family businesses, run by the owners/makers, who take a direct interest in maintaining their customers.

At the end of the day, I've no complaint about Edward Green. They make good shoes. But they're a factory business, and for the personal touch of MTO, I think the best experience would be through one of their SF-famous re-sellers, or from another smaller name where the gap between maker and wearer is just a little smaller.

I'm sure this is why, even though G&G are not yet at EG's scale, a man like Nick is so popular with customers. Why go direct when you can pay more or less the same, and have someone who knows the supplier inside out, manage the process for you?

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have yet to go directly to the factory for any orders, and all of my dealings with our SF re-sellers that I have dealt with so far have been outstanding.

In one instance after Leaves at Skoaktiebolaget physically looked at my shoes and found a mark on one of them, he offered to include a free set of shoe trees. The mark was barely noticeable, and I was impressed that he took the time to look at the shoes prior to sending them to me.

10. styledamage

That's the way to handle business.

11. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

There are certainly a few vendors on this site that go above and beyond. Nick at Bespoke and Leaves at Skoaktiebolaget have both been incredible to work with. Steve Yoo at gentlemansfootwear is also fantastic.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Absolutely!!!

I was very impressed, and quite happy with the whole process.

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Did you complain?

14. styledamage

I will when I go in to change my order; directly to the sales associate.

15. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

If you want your money back tell them you want to change your order to an MTO Bamford. They will say they cant make it due to technical difficulties. That might give you an opening to then regrettably have to ask for a full refund.