1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jreigen

jreigen Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

You're right ... well worth the wait ... are beautiful. I really like the color and pattern. Good choice. Really.

3. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Senior member

If you had to rank all of G&G lasts based on timeless, what would that be? I'm trying to decided which would be last to get between the MH71 or TG73.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

5. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Now it is! You're the second person that's said it, I think it's catching on ;)

And concur with stitchy on 71's.

6. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Senior member

Awesome! That's the one I was leaning towards to begin with :)

Thanks for the help!

1 person likes this.
  7. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

MH71 without a doubt.

Arran on MH71
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

I really like the leather used .... what skin is it?

1 person likes this.
  9. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Any ideas on why one would Topy and not go for the Wensum option on a MTO?

10. Frank the sheep

Thanks. It´s brown highland grain.

Maybe so he can avoid resoling and just put on a new topy?

1 person likes this.
  11. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

The Wensum`s are actually the indestructible rubber sole that looks as thin as the leather from the side. It would never need a resole, and hence my question - Topy`s do need replacement, and presumably are put on to get more wear out of the sole, but the ultimate is the Wensum sole, available from G&G. Perhaps not much is known about this sole? It is similar to a RM Williams composite sole, and rarely wears out, literally, whereas the Topy does wear out and cab alter the balance of the shoe, if only marginally.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I think topy simply serves the purpose of increasing the leather sole longevity a bit, while still giving you that GG fiddled waist.

I have been told that rubber soles are more ideal for foul weather environments. Would be the only reason for me to get a rubber sole. Otherwise, how could I miss out on that leather sole goodness :)

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That's the reason I have Topys on some shoes. Icy sidewalks and wet slippery marble floors and stairs at two train stations define my commute for what seems like half the year. Synthetics give noticeably better grip than wet leather in these conditions. And while I have no issue wearing leather soles in the rain, wet leather does wear faster. And wet leather walking across miles of sidewalk strewn with rock salt (again, an almost daily reality for me in winter) wears very quickly indeed.

Topys do need periodic replacement, but they last a surprisingly long time for such a thin piece of material.

I have Wensum soles on my Wigmores and think they are a terrific all-weather solution. The trim sole line is nice, but if wishes were being granted I'd actually like them to be slightly thicker. Not double - I mean about 25% to 30% more. That would elevate the leather upper just that tiny bit more out of the slushy muck and give a firmer feel underfoot.

For the record, I have never ever experienced any of the supposed downsides of full or partial synthetic soles.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

If one likes the feel of a leather sole underfoot, a thin Topy is less of a departure than a full synthetic sole.

15. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

When I talked to Dean he said the 3pc boot trees are only for bespoke customers so.... do you think they'll make an exception with a group MTO?

I've been looking for similar 3pc boot trees to no avail! The closest 'boot tree' I've come across is La Cordonnerie's from thehangerproject

16. in stitches

yep. i topied some of my other shoes and they prolong the wear on the ball of your foot where you walk. ideal if you wear a shoe a lot and walk a lot in it. and better grip on sidewalks. and the rubber is not adversely affected by water and snow like leather is.

---

frank those are amazing.

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I would be surprised if they make an exception. They are fantastic though, for boots that is...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  18. Frank the sheep

I don´t think he will. Bespoke England sold boot trees under the store name but had to stop with this because of the reason Dean told you...only for bespoke.

I have two pair of boot trees that i luckily got before B-E stopped selling them.

19. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

We share the same commute! Have you considered adding toe caps on top of the Topys? Also, have you found a good cobbler in the city?

And speaking of commutes, witnessed a shoving match at Union station today.

20. in stitches

i am teh jelly.