1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Just free associating...

This might be too much of a design change but how about a G&G version of the EG Nevis? Vintage oak for the uppers and hatchgrain (since it seems to be a favorite) shaft?

I found a picture here off SF similar to what I had in mind but with the stitching that of the Hove:
    [​IMG]

Another boot thought is a vintage oak Arran with the quarter and ankle area in hatchgrain.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Laufer, I want those Hoves :slayer:

3. laufer

laufer Senior member

Nuts I changed my mind about those. Also I think I found a way to make Inverness wearable with the help of little padding.

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

From the GG tumblr, is this more of what you had in mind:

[​IMG]
    I suspect it was a bespoke model though...

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks JS, now looking at the leather overlays the hatch has to be throughout the shoe. I guess I was thinking there was some way to do a contrast between smooth and hatch.

I guess my other thought of the Arran in vintage oak and hatch on the back would work. I'm still on the fence about the high ankle boot look.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

This question is not meant to be rude or sarcastic, but why wouldn't you just get the Nevis if you want something like it?

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Had 2 boots in mind:

High boot with NST but the shaft in hatch grain (might not really work out)

or

Chukka Arran with the quarter and ankle section in hatch grain

I could go the EG MTO route for Nevis but then again, that would be half a grand more than BE if a GMTO is started.

Just tossing ideas around and maybe something will draw interest. Nothing is too pressing to be an solo MTO at this point. I appreciate the suggestion.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. JubeiSpiegel

I was posed the same question during my boot MTO conceptualizing as well. I would say that I am quite happy with GG, and they have been accommodating. So I choose to give my business to them over EG, who I have no experience with. Simple as that for me...

9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

G&G Westminsters - TG73 - Vintage Burgundy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets do an MTO Oakham double monk on the TG73 in vintage rioja and rioja grain

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Makes sense. There are some stories around these parts about how poor EG customer service is - my experience has been the opposite but i don't blame anyone for getting second thoughts.

Regarding dpprdr's decision, it's a very easy one for me if you care to hear my opinion - - the Arran is one of the best boots ever and far outclasses the Nevis design and possibly it's variants

11. JubeiSpiegel

I agree, the Arran is fantastic chukka...

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

DrDppr, excuse me if its already been mentioned but have you considered the G&G Thorpe? It's the G&G equivalant of EG nevis

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

PCK1 - lovely minsters. they were my first pair of GGs, a perfect shoe really.

14. member2000r

member2000r Senior member

From a private source, I can get a standard RTW price if we can get at least 5 pair of GMTO, i.e. no MTO surcharge.
    It is not a discount, just to get a RTW price by group order

I suggest this

shoe design : Bramhall
    size : 9F (TBC)
    Sole : Single Oak Bark sole
    last : TG73
    color : Racing Green
    Shoe tree included.

Shoes shall be delivered to my city and then DHL to your home at your cost. Or you can give me a flavor by sending the shoes to anyplace and delivery my pair to me at good price or waived.

Just express your opinion.

15. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Don't want to disappoint you or anything, but you do know that G&G always remove the upcharge for group orders of six pairs or more? Like most maker offering MTO (Edward Green, Carmina, Meermin etc).

16. member2000r

member2000r Senior member

the diiference is I can have one pair less to make a go

17. itraxx

itraxx Senior member

Very nice, I am considering this exact specification for my next MTO order.

Any reason why the sole painting is in the opposite direction to the usual style?

18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

19. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

These Westminsters were "private-labeled" for Paul Stuart in NYC which is perhaps why the sole painting was done in the reverse.

If you like them as they are you can buy them directly from Paul Stuart and save yourself the MTO Upcharge. They all seem to be on the TG73.

http://www.paulstuart.com/category_...odCatId=1008&SubProdCatId=2169&headermenuid=1

I think on their website they call them the "Carnaby", even though on my shoe box it says westminster.

They have about 10 models of G&G's available and they are really the only place in NYC that has inventory in my size.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  20. itraxx

itraxx Senior member

Thank you for this! Will definitely consider picking up a pair, do they come with trees?