Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Considering the contrasts in their last styles, it's no surprise that one might consider the other "disgusting" in general: G&G's slim, elongated lasts and their nose-picker Deco toes, versus Cleverley's unchanging wide forefoot, organic shape and chunky square toe. I'm sure Mr Glasgow things G&G's products are effete, trendy and frivolous, and Mr Gaziano probably find's GC's shoes old-fashioned, stumpy and ugly. Maybe Mr Glasgow doesn't think much of the stamped look of hatch grain either, compared to the extraordinary rarity of their antique ocean-cured Russian reindeer. Which someone else might point out is smelly, hard to care for and probably not as pretty as many other leathers half the price.

But me, I'm just glad there's such a wonderful array of shoe love to choose from. We all have our thing, don't we?

Meanwhile, Mr Glasgow Sr could be heard singing "Big Poppa"....

Last edited: May 5, 2013

2. rikod

rikod Senior member

From the pictures I've seen, that's pretty accurate

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I like the Cleverley style, personally.

4. rikod

rikod Senior member

I can't comment on something I've never seen and feel, but exclusively from the pictures I've seen, I don't

5. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

It's not the first time something like this has happened:

John Carnera seems like a good guy though:

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks for sharing that bit about John Carnera. i was getting a little annoyed that everyone in the shoe biz seems to be a whiny little bitch. glad its not across the board.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Didn't Tony & Dean both work for EG? I wonder how they feel about them...

8. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That's correct, and Cleverley too (or maybe that was Dean only). Tony is supposed to have designed the 888 and 82 lasts as well.

There seems to be a lot of bad blood and intrigue in Northampton. Put a few pints in any Northampton shoe maker and you will hear a lot of funny/interesting stories. :)

9. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

A couple of years ago, I ran into George Glasgow Jr. in Leather Soul Beverly Hills. He was a perfect gentleman and took quite a bit time just talking with me and a friend about shoes even though it was clear I was just killing time and wasn't buying anything--let alone commissioning bespoke shoes. I think I was wearing G&Gs at the time. I just ordered my first pair of Cleverly from the Anthony Cleverly line. Looking forward to receiving them, but I think the last shape bears quite a bit of similarity to my G&Gs.

10. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember a while ago when Leathersoul dropped G&G and picked up Cleverley. Wondering if there was some interesting backstory to the whole thing....

Last edited: May 6, 2013

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

The whole Northampton town must be full of very interesting dirty stories as so many shoemaking factories closed down shops and all the high profile mergers and stealing orders from each other.

G&G are very good and aggressive businessman and must have crossed a lot of people on their path to the success they have today. Imaging some maker losing a major order to G&G and how they must feel.

p.s., LS told me that G&G leather used is not as nice as EG or Cleverley. I don't think that's true but interesting nevertheless.

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I am not surprised if G&G use worse leather than GC, good leathers are hard to come by these days.

Besides, I do find my AC RTW has very good leather, certainly more buttery than my G&G.

Hatchgrain is one of the stiffest leather I have ever encountered, be warned.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

With G&G's volume, they should certainly be able to source the same if not better leather than GC RTW, IMO. But I don't know anyone who's in the trade and never talked to AACrack regarding the leather sourcing industry in UK.

If any, the never ending supply of mythical Russian Reindeer is certainly GC only. Or whichever tannery Hermes Group acquired is only accessible via JL...

p.s., hatch grain I've handled aren't that stiff and is thicker than some of the calf leathers. But all those could be misleading as makers do skive.

14. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

OUCH! I've heard a G&G exec say otherwise :)

Ok, as far as I know, G&G uses the following leather

RTW Black Calf: Freudenburg by Weinheimer
    RTW Colored Calf: Zonta
    Suede: Zonta

Deco (including Deco Black): Zonta
    Bespoke: RTW stocks + Deadstock Freudenburgs, Baby calfskin (Zonta, Ilcea etc...), French skins from Annonay + DePuy, + exotics (Italian Mississippi Alligator etc..)

From what I know, Edward Green mainly uses Zonta, including their black calf.

Please correct me if my information is wrong.

15. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

yes,
    it true.
    E.G leather very very good.
    John Lobb prestige leather better
    Anthony Cleverley leather best of English shoe
    C&J hand grade leather = good but it have flaw easy to see and look bad compare to AC

Last edited: May 6, 2013