1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i have done that in the past with shoes of mine, but never with my GGs, carminas or CJs. i have no one here to do it, so i would have to send them away, probably b nelson. a dozen pairs at once is costly and will leave me with no shoes. i will probably just do it over time as the shoes need to be resoled. once they need work anyways, ill have them redone with topy.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

To further our prior discussion on sizing let me add the following points:

By way of background, I am a US 11.5D sizing in nearly every shoe I've tried except certain athletic shoes. I take a a 10.5E (UK) in John Lobbs.

My first G&G purchase was a pair of Oakhams in an MH71 last. These were ordered in June in a 10.5E and fit very nicely. No real issues at all.

In the last sale I purchased 2 new pair, both in a 10.5E. One was a Hove on the DG70 last and the other was the Westminster on the TG73 last. I could tell from the beginning that both were on the tight side, but felt they would probably be ok.

I've worn both a few times now. The Hove will be fine. With a bit of wear they have broken in well. The Westminsters on the other hand just aren't going to work for me. Both pair are a bit tight on the out step, but the Westminsters are much more so. Really wish now I'd tried both in a size 11. I believe my next order will be a size 11, a half size down from my US size.

That said, the TG73 last seems to fit me much tighter in the outstep and the toe box than either of the other two lasts.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Bot EG and G&G recommend sizing down by a half from your US size and it is good advice.

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

I find G&G and EG runs half a size smaller than standard UK sizes like Loake, C&J, AS, Trickers.

5. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

True TO size for me against C&J Hand-grade last 337s

6. in stitches

i go one full size down from my US size. i think it really depends on the exact size of your foot.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I think it's more width dependent. I can go down full size if it were wider, so I am always down half size (all from US size)

8. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Stitch - If you can get down to DC, Sky Valet in Georgetown can do it for you. They've put topys on my EGs with no problem.

9. in stitches

probably true. the length differential on a half size is pretty negligible.

that is good info, thanks. i rarely get down there for personal time, so i think id have to mail them either way. but good info to have. if i can make it there, id defo do that.

10. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I asked about the fit differences between the MH71 last and the TG73 last about a week ago here, and since then decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Mayfair double monks from Leatherfoot. The shoes arrived and for me, the fit is very similar to the MH71. The toe-box does feel slightly lower, but it feels OK for me. I think the toe box also might be a smidge narrower, but it's not tight so no issues there. So I guess for my feet the TG73 works in the same size as MH71.

It seems that the Mayfairs are not all that popular around here, but I kept going back to these when looking for my next pair of G&G's. It would have been nice if these had the fiddleback waist, but in-person, I really like how the double soles look on them, so I think it worked out pretty well for me.

A few quick pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Very nice, I think it's the slight brogueing that throws people off...

12. in stitches

fit shmit, the shoes are lovely. :)

13. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Yeah, that seems to be the case. The brogueing made it more interesting to me though. I already have a couple of captoe double monks, so it's nice to get something a little different.

Haha, thanks!

14. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

I love these Mayfairs (although I prefer TG73) and all double monks.
    Those others ultra marrons will not get excited unless they see something with laces!

15. jet

jet Senior member

gents which saphir creme/polish combination would you use for vintage cedar?

what wax for antiquing toe/heel counter? Thkx

16. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Closest in color is Havane (nr 34) which they just released as cream also in the Medaille d'Or line. It has a tiny bit of a red tint which goes well with vintage cedar, and is between dark brown and medium brown in color. With polish for antiquing I use dark brown.

17. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

The tin of havana wax I have is darker than dark brown....it's bordering on a blackish brown.

I polished my cedar shoes with medium brown on the toes and cognac on the rest.

18. itraxx

itraxx Senior member

19. laufer

laufer Senior member

Indeed however one should be careful because Barneys sizing has been a big cluster:censored: and these are final sales no returns so thread these waters carefully.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    Was looking at that yesterday, Burnham might be calling my name... :drool:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013