• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Apollotrader

Reaction score
It is as old and traditional as the OCBD itself. I don't prefer the Gucci with the colors or logo as you correctly refer to it either. As far as being vile, take a close objective look at many men's shoe styles, the full brogue wing tip, the double monk, etc. They are all aesthetically challenged! Take that thought one step further and show all three to a bright young girl that has no preconceived ideas and guess which is thought of as prettiest?

All I am saying is don't rush to hate the bit loafer, it is iconic and has earned a spot in any true trad wardrobe

Peace.

jdanielca

Reaction score
Unsightly, unhygienic and unmanly.

Sure, with long shorts and a polo shirt, or even as you describe, it seems to be acceptable (but I'm glad you draw the line at a suit). Like I said, if you're getting onto a boat or sitting in a beach side bar in the Bahamas, what the heck. A casual pair of moccasins or deck shoes with no socks, I get. But in the realm of "classic menswear", I still consider it below par: proper loafers that are too good for the beach, are too good for bare feet, and bare feet are never "classic menswear": what next? Baggy suits with just a vest underneath like MC Hammer?

Anyway, I appreciate I am an anachronism swimming against the tide here - cf. my ranting at people wearing "jeans" in the WAYWRN thread. These things are not "classic menswear", they are casual work wear for labourers and factory workers! At least in my addled, reactionary old mind. My only concessions are colourful socks and brown in town. Dandy is good. But denim and socklessness are just scruffy.

Right, enough of that, I'll go and listen to the wireless and calm down. Perhaps someone could post some lovely shoes and get us back on track? ;)
Dont wanna bring this thread off topic but: Ppl need to move with the times, denim does not necessarily mean faded, with holes or in the Levi's blue kind of stuff. Denim can be very chino like, very dark colours, very prim and proper looking. Not for work for sure, well would depend on where you work. But for a person like me 32 whose only job is to basically go out, it is great. I have to reiterate though that this would apply only to certain types of denim in my opinion. If you wear a jacket and tshirt u can go with distressed denim. If you are going to wear a shirt I always think it best to go with unadulterated denim, no fade, no distressing, cut properly etc. I use viapiana myself, fellow Canadian based in Bangkok, does great work.AND the only time I dont wear socks is if I am wearing bermudas and sandals.

Last edited:

goodlensboy

Reaction score

The only way to wear loafers IMO, feel free to disagree

Very nicely worn

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Picked up the trees for my Gables yesterday, natural wood.

those are nice. mine are mahogany, bu i may try out the natural next time.

also, the pants in the sock-less pic are amazing. want.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rothschild in vintage chestnut today, paired with a navy suit.

Elfsberg

Reaction score
Good news for all GG lovers in Sweden. There is going to be a small trunk show at Skoaktiebolaget March 8 and 9. Dean or Tony + Daniel (Swedish guy working at GG) will be there, of course i'm at a business trip that week. Merde!
Ahh.. A trunk show will be difficult to resist

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads