Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Whats the point of loafers if you are going to wear socks ? Might as well wear lace-ups

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

[​IMG]

3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I tend to agree... and yet [​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

They are comfortable, especially in warmer climates, they are easy to put on and take off should circumstances or culture require, and we all have our personal tastes - for some, they are aesthetically appealing.

I would ask the opposite question: why would one buy a nice pair of shoes, of any kind (especially an expensive pair like G&G), and treat them so badly as to wear them without socks?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

The only way to wear loafers IMO, feel free to disagree

[​IMG]

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Apposite that they should be paired with short, very narrow trousers. Really rather makes my point: this is not "classic menswear", but merely a fad among hipster poseurs.

Fashion is for teenaged girls, gentlemen. This is the Style Forum.

P.S. The loafers themselves are delightful.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I know plenty of stylish dudes do it, and they say they enjoy it, but I can't look at anybody sockless without thinking about their clammy sweaty smelly feet inside those shoes.

8. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Well, I normally wear socks that do not intrude above the shoeline so odour is not a problem.

My question was not whetehr one can wear loafers in general, sockless...I know that's a yes.

I was wondering if the G&G Antibes would look shabby or weird when worn without socks...as it is a pretty distinct looking shoe, as opposed to a penny loafer.

9. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

This is simply traditional menswear under the classification of the larger category of classic menswear. I grew up in Newport, land of sock less loafers and it goes something like this.

Grade school, trad pennies
    [​IMG]
    Prep school, pennies or tassels
    [​IMG]
    College, less pennies, mostly tassels or perhaps low vamp dressier loafers.
    [​IMG]
    Post college and or post grad is where the Gucci bit loafer steps in. Mostly seen at casual social events, hanging around the club, summer casual weddings etc.
    [​IMG]
    Wearing a pair of bit loafers sock less in a business setting is often telegraphing that the youngster thinks he is actually in charge, which sometimes he is.

This is by no means a strict schedule however bit loafers are generally thought of as post grad. In these circles this is not considered fashion but rather tradition.

You get the idea but I am loosing it, bed time now.

The shoe Fiddler references do not have a place in the scenario I am describing.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

A modern local tradition it may be, but classic menswear, I maintain it's not. And Gucci horsebits are vile in my opinion, as is anything with a logo on the outside.

But I know this is an unwinnable argument - fashion is an indomitable beast. I'd just add that everything I've said applies especially to G&G's lovely loafers - in my view. Thanks for taking the trouble to debate with care and erudition - that was an excellent post if I may say so. Anyway, good night!

By the way, the penultimate picture in your interesting summary is rather nice, if a little staid. What is it? It looks welted and rather serious - definitely a loafer in need of socks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

11. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Ok....so that's a no. Very helpful thanks. I myself suspected that might be the case which is why I thought it might be an idea to ask.

12. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

NOT the best choice for sockless but it can be done with the right setup & situation.
    if you don't already have a tan get it or it's gonna look like chit

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i just find it to be uncomfortable wearing leather shoes without socks. the look itself does not bother me.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

This is my experience, tried it once. The leather sticking to my skin made it unbearable. I experience no trouble wearing loafers with socks in Florida, year round.

15. nepats81

nepats81 Senior member

Excellent! I'd like to see Cherry, Rioja, or Vintage Oak.