• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be a bit off topic, how much more they charge at these American shows? Do they sell ready to wear or just take orders for MTO ? Thanks guys I am btw LUSTING over a pair of Wigmores which I hope to be getting in London or if they bring shoes to the shows..

Depends on the store and whether they stock RTW G&Gs, but when I went to the G&G trunk show at Leffot Dean Girling was mostly taking orders either for MTO or bespoke. If I'm not mistaken he might have had a few RTW pairs ready for purchase - but those might have been Steven Taffel's stock inventory of RTW G&Gs anyway.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sigh. Yes, I suppose.  Keeps my mind from other borderline pathological spending preferences...

If it weren't for mankind's remarkable ability to simultaneously rationalize one's irrational behaviour and deny the truth of it, we would probably be unable to get out of bed in the mornings.

:nodding:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it weren't for mankind's remarkable ability to simultaneously rationalize one's irrational behaviour and deny the truth of it, we would probably be unable to get out of bed in the mornings.

nod[1].gif

Truth.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Few people have the imagination for reality. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:nodding:

Rationalization/intellectualization are higher order defenses at least :fonz:

jdanielca

Reaction score
Depends on the store and whether they stock RTW G&Gs, but when I went to the G&G trunk show at Leffot Dean Girling was mostly taking orders either for MTO or bespoke. If I'm not mistaken he might have had a few RTW pairs ready for purchase - but those might have been Steven Taffel's stock inventory of RTW G&Gs anyway.
Ah right right, thanks for the info.

jdanielca

Reaction score
When you guys travel with your shoes, the good ones, do you use the shoe trees from G&G or do you get special light travel ones and put them in the cloth bags, pack em and done? Or? maybe theres a thread out there about this I don't know, but I am really curious about how you guys would do it. And on that note, G&G last shoes trees or cedar shoe trees from some other place? You guys will probably laugh at me, but I have never had the need for leather shoes, i still don't but I am getting on in years and HUGO and Dsquared just doesnt cut it anymore. So I am moving from $500 shoes to C&J and G&G. I need all the help I can get :)

THANKS !

dlind

Reaction score
Sigh. Yes, I suppose. Keeps my mind from other borderline pathological spending preferences...
After skipping a few sessions you can probably pay for another pair as well, winning!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you guys travel with your shoes, the good ones, do you use the shoe trees from G&G or do you get special light travel ones and put them in the cloth bags, pack em and done? Or? maybe theres a thread out there about this I don't know, but I am really curious about how you guys would do it. And on that note, G&G last shoes trees or cedar shoe trees from some other place? You guys will probably laugh at me, but I have never had the need for leather shoes, i still don't but I am getting on in years and HUGO and Dsquared just doesnt cut it anymore. So I am moving from $500 shoes to C&J and G&G. I need all the help I can get :) 

THANKS !

When I travel I take one pair of lasted trees - I use them for whatever shoes I am taking off in the evening. As my trips are usually over a week long I typically travel with three pairs of leather shoes in total.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THANKS !

When I travel I take one pair of lasted trees - I use them for whatever shoes I am taking off in the evening. As my trips are usually over a week long I typically travel with three pairs of leather shoes in total.

RE: Gdot's comment above. Same with me and the new shoes (I really only started getting good pairs three to four months ago, so am a relative newbie like you, jdanielca!)...

Also, jdanielca, you didn't ask this question, but in case you aren't used to doing it, useful tip: when I got better pairs of shoes I made sure I brought a shoe horn with me. A requirement to preserve your shoes, given TSA policies!

jdanielca

Reaction score
So you pack the 3 shoes don't they get squished without a shoe tree in each of them? Is the logic here that the trees only need to be there when the shoes r damp and soft from wearing so we have the tree in there to hold shape while it dries? Maybe some travel ones from Kirby hanger project would help them travel better in luggage. I love my hangers I got from the place for my bespoke jackets.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to always traveling with proper shoe trees.

Elfsberg

Reaction score
Always travel with G&G lasted shoe trees. I guess you can put socks and other things in the shoes while traveling, but I believe my G&G's actually feel much better with their close friends joining the trip. :)

For short trips (one night away) I go with one pair (even if I hate using the same shoes 2 days in a row). Longer trips I normally bring 3 pairs and 2 pair of shoe trees.

The luggage is much heavier nowadays.

/E

P.S Currently in London.. and the hotel standard here is even worse than France.

dlind

Reaction score
Always travel with G&G lasted shoe trees. I guess you can put socks and other things in the shoes while traveling, but I believe my G&G's actually feel much better with their close friends joining the trip. :)

For short trips (one night away) I go with one pair (even if I hate using the same shoes 2 days in a row). Longer trips I normally bring 3 pairs and 2 pair of shoe trees.

The luggage is much heavier nowadays.

/E

P.S Currently in London.. and the hotel standard here is even worse than France.
Very true! Don't even get me started on the quality of flats or houses, it's like being back in the 19th century.....

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steven at Leffot confirmed they're coming in April, he just doesn't know the specific date(s) yet.

Not that I'm checking frequently throughout the day, but Leffot has confirmed that May 14 is the date of the G&G Trunk Show. Again, not that I check Leffot's website or FB page every few hours or anything like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads