1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

The first part of this post may prove to be somewhat heretical to die-hard G&G loyalists, but bear with me please - I think (hope?) I redeem myself in the end.

I LOVE the St James II in vintage cherry - great choice! For the record, THIS was the shoe that attracted me to G&G in the first place: clean lines, awesome burnishing, and the fact that I have a weakness for red tones in shoes (burgundy, cherry, etc).

Unfortunately, when I went to Leffot to get myself a pair, they didn't have it in my size. So I ended up getting THIS pair from Alfred Sargent instead (the "Moore" in antique cherry):

[​IMG]

Photo taken from this review of the Alfred Sargent Moore: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/alfred-sargent-show-review/

Holy doppelganger, Batman! What gives? But before you label me a G&G turncoat, I believe I redeemed myself down the line by acquiring a few pairs of G&Gs. The first was the Rothschild wingtip in vintage chestnut that I shared a few pages back. The second was the Burnham chelsea boot in vintage oak, which I am actually wearing today:

[​IMG]

I love this pair - fits like a sock, and very comfortable since it's in the 20s today in NYC. Accompanying timepiece is the 5040J from Patek Philippe - I love the tonneau case.

Am I to be cast into flames for my audacity at even comparing Alfred Sargent to G&G? Oh no! Please, have mercy...

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lol, its all good.

3. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Well, they do look similar in style and color, but even from the two photos the finishing is much better with the GG's, to my eyes. The AS looks like a fine shoe, though - no shame in "settling" for that

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

those sargents look gorgeous....VERY nice!!

Snapped a pic of my Hoves after a quick clean/polish
    [​IMG]

5. in stitches

oooh, nice polish job.

6. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior Member

+1
    Its such a delight to shop in that store.

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Distinguished Member

Very nice. I am mid shoe care regimine myself.

8. GothamRed

GothamRed Distinguished Member

Thoughts on my Savoys after a couple of wears? I'm really having a hard time nailing down my size. My first EGs, 9.5/10D on the 888 feel way too long and creased on the cap, so I went 9/9.5E in my 888 westminsters which have been fine, but again a faint crease on the cap right at the seam. The 8.5/9E felt super small. So, this pair of Savoy is 9/9.5E and feels snug but not tight, yet it seems to be creasing strangely...If I measure my feet and convert I get 9 US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

twinsies!

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

^^ looks great ^^

might be. try popping in one of the dr scholles i posted. very comfy and fixes the fit if there is room for it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

Any own or seen in person a pair of Thorpe's? I guess they are G&G's take on a field boot. They look stormwelted from the pics I've seen, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with this model.

12. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

13. Toffee

Toffee Active Member

For loafers I don't mind buying the Barker Black Wolfe, Mansel and Moxhams. Very comfortable, very fun and very overpriced EXCEPT when they go on sale. I think Niemann Marcus has them on sale right now actually.

Nita in London sometimes has a few pairs in the factory shop and if you VERY lucky she will let you buy a pair for under $300.00.