1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i fairly hope you'll take a better archetype.

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Can I get some opinions on which, if any, G&G is 'iconic'? - if such a thing is possible for a co only a few yrs in operation.

And for G&G owners - after a few months of possession, which G&G do you think of as a 'go to' kinda 'can't live without' shoe?

thx!

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think that moreso than a particular shoe, I think their lasts are iconic - specifically the 71 and 73.

For a go to shoe? I can't live without my Westminsters.

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Westminster - and the Woburn (derby) is similar. I can see that, but square's not me, more a 70 smart round guy.

the Rosthchild looks close to perfect IMO in vintage rioja or rosewood [​IMG]

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

for me there are perhaps 12 shoes i like whihc are G&G, but what does it for me is G&G are perhaps the only English maker willing to push the craft forward

moreover, when you see shoes like these IRL you cant just help but go wow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i am sure there are other makers shoes which will have the same effect, but Delos dont travel :(

also dont forget Tony worked for Cleverleys for 6-7 years and then how ever long he ran the EG bespoke operation and Dean worked for John Lobb, yes as a company they have only been together since 2006, but it does not take their recent history as all they have done

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

care to explain?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

As much as I like G&G, I suspect that's a bit overstated.

Stylistically, perhaps. And there's not many makers that finish their shoes to the high degree that G&G do; not many that can pull it all together with such finesse and grace. Impeccable craftsmanship.

That said, GY welting always pushes the "craft" / Trade / shoe backward.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Is that true, Stitch? :eh:

9. DLKY

DLKY Senior member

Thats a great looking shoe, funny enough, I have been talking to the guys at Saint Crispin's for a wholecut in the new russian calf, but wasnt sure if it'll look good on a wholecut :) According to Mr Car, their russian calf is made from cow leather but treated with a high fat portion which makes it soft and nearly water resistant.

10. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

The stuff from cow leather is not Russia Leather, its a new look a like. The original was tanned in Russia from Reindeer hides

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The heels on my G&G's are squeaky as shit. Anybody else with this problem?

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Which 12 pairs you like?

13. luk-cha

perhaps it was a slight overstated, and i am always willing to be corrected - we shall see come Sept 16th

but how else other than GY welting apart from glue, staples or nano robots can you improve on??

or should i say in your opinion apart from the above, how can any maker keep pushing and improving?

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Good discussions right here. :lurk:

15. cdmoore1855

We need to separate bespoke from benchmade, when DWF mentions he is not enamored with GY welting it needs to be highlighted that here we are talking about bespoke shoes. G&G only GY welt the RTW shoes, they can't handwelt those at the same price point.

16. luk-cha

ok lets see if i have pictures for all of the 12 let call the the dirty dozen :D BTW they are more the design than the color [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] anyhow these styles might change like the wind but as it is today just these or slight veriations of edit found a picture of the hayes!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  17. cdmoore1855

" The heels on my G&G's are squeaky as shit. Anybody else with this problem? "

If you have squeaky shit, you need to see a doctor, that's not right

18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

What happens on my birthday?

19. DWFII

Is this thread only about bespoke G&G? I didn't know that. I beg your pardon.

Handwelted G&G are almost without peer in my estimation...maybe Delos.

20. DWFII

Oh, there's lots of little things. But my point was that, for me at least, the GY nullifies a good percentage of everything we admire about G&G and calls into question whether "improving" is really an objective.

No big deal. Like I said, IMO, G&G are among the best looking shoes being made...from any angle.