Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.
I'm taking a purchasing hiatus right now and likely saving for exactly this.
1. JL was a much better deal. And more refined shoes. And yes I am partial to JLP and G&G classic styles.
2. Why don't people buy +/- around their size at a sale is beyond me, i.e., buy Barney's size 9, 9.5, 10, if you are G&G size 9.5E/10E. You can always return in case Barney's screws up sizing.
I certainly would not have chosen to buy shoes that needed insoles to fit, but for the price offered i am more than happy to have em. Well worth it for me to have 2 pairs of shoes that would not otherwise be possible for me to get. If one pair needs an insole, which many people wear anyway for comfort, that is no biggie to me.
And worse case scenario, as MoL said, i pass em on for what i payed or more, or just return them.
1. Thats a consideration for someone who has a solid shoe rotation. Its hard to justify close to 3k on one pair of shoes when a person may only have 2 or 3 pairs to begin with, and could be better served rounding out their collection buying 3 more pair, not 1.
2. Simple economics. A person who can spend 1300ish on shoes may not be able to afford shoes in the 3k range. Hell, for me 600+ is already pushing it.
1. As you said, that is very much a matter of personal taste.
2. Not all sizes were available. And i know my GG size. I had no way of knowing their system was so absurd. Lasty, cash flow. Sometimes you have to pay your CC bill before the refund gets processed. I can float some money, but i did not want to float 2k.
BARNEYS Y U NO PUT MORE MODELS ON SALE AFTER XMAS
Also, Biarritz still available US9 at cost, one last shot before eBay...
Spoiler: Warning: Spoiler!
if barney pressmen were alive and still running the show you would have gotten your wish
Agree. This is my next step, few bespoke to last me the next 20 years. Although I have no problem with MTO, bespoke is the next frontier. Prices are converging with all the extras I ask for in an MTO, specially the GG Deco range.
+1. Althbough I can do it soon, I am taking my time sizing up the better bespoke options and designers. Some of the Italians and Japanese makers are tuning out very unique shoes.
Received the gable and westbury. I'm still not in love with the Frankenstitch but at Alden calf prices, I couldn't be happier.
enjoy those. you'll be looking to sell in a month or two
Whoever the person was that tried on the Gable, somehow managed to scratch off some of the finish off of the toe. Shouldn't be a problem to remedy as the shoes seem to be in need of a polish anyway.
Also, note how they were laced when I received them. Dude didn't deserve G&G at any price
They even had the nerve to send me a faux horn shoe horn presumably used by the culprit in question
i am not in love with that term.
that could be shop wear. they are laced that way in the web pics iirc. same for the scuff, could be from in store movement.
also, one day, i would like to try bespoke as well. would be a cool experience.
Separate names with a comma.