Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Isn't it DG70?

2. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

How's the savoy fit? I'm a lobb 7000 UK7/US8 what size should I buy of the Savoy?

Also what,s the sizing marked on barneys box? If the box mark US8 for example the shoe is UK7 or 7.5?

3. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

These are my first G&Gs, so other opinions should be much more valuable than mine. That said, I wound up with the Savoys in a 9UK, which the Barneys box labels a 9.5US. This is the exact size I wear in Edward Green (9/9.5E), but I actually sized down 1/2 a size in the Gables (8.5/9) as they just felt better. I feel a little long in the toe box in the Savoys, but the vamp is much better than the 8.5/9 Savoy and 9.5/10 was just way too big for me. Obviously, YMMV.

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Edit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

they are a half size down. a box marked with a barneys US8 sticker will be a GG UK7.5.

6. in stitches

lol, yes it is.

7. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

It´s really retarded as you say. I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of 9US/8UK Gables when they first got out on sale but didn´t do it becasuse VAT + shipping was to much. Then i read your posts about this sizing thing and understood that they did have the wrong size online. So when they dropped to 490 dollars i couldn´t resist and NAMOR helped me with the purchase. The only size left was 8.5US / 7.5UK, i was a bit nervous that i had understood things wrong but when NAMOR posted pics of the box and shoe it clearly stated 8UK. I wonder how many people that have bought the wrong size?

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

yes!

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I looked at these for a long time a Barney's. I don't think the stitching was the issue. That looked fine in person. And I really liked the look of the Westfield in person. So I'm thinking it must be the captoe - people keep calling it an inverted but I'm not sure that is describing it accurately.

Thankfully I did not see the G&G spectator there as I'm a sucker for creme suede.

10. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I mentioned to Spoo the other day that I got into an Abbott and Costello routine with the SA at Barneys about the sizing. He kept saying a size but it was totally unclear whether he was referring to uk or us sizing.

11. in stitches

well, im glad you saw my post, and made sure to confirm before doing any kopping. i hoped my post would alert people to the possible sizing snafu.

i would imagine that for people who have bought GGs before and are familiar with the brand, and have not bought from barneys before, that many of them ended up with the wrong size. i know i did and spoo did. im sure there are others.

on the other hand, i assume that many people buy from barneys and have no idea what GG is about, and have no idea about the whole UK/EU/US sizing conversion. and ill bet they have never bought GGs, or any shoe for that matter, from outside the US. they just have money to spend, and buy them because they like them, or the SA tells them to.

for that consumer, which i will bet is the far majority, they just go by whatever the US size is, thats all they know. so the whole conversion issue is almost a non issue for them. i will also bet, that many of those consumers have some slightly ill fitting shoes in their closet and dont even know it.

had the same convo. it was infuriating.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear your monks in good health, looking forward to pictures of its maiden voyage

13. in stitches

thanks, unc! hopefully soon. :)

14. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

oh gosh....didn't have time to even try on my shoes yet and of course they are the wrong size like stitchy posted :brick: :brick:

this is so frustrating!

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    you need to try a cap toe, you will like it