1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

It's worth reflecting on the words of Oscar Wilde (or some such comparable fellow):

"I am too poor to afford cheap stuff."

Shoes stay with you for a long time. Why not get fewer but nicer ones?

2. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

That's the goal moving forward. I guess I can't justify paying close to a grand yet for shoes. 2 years ago the $250 for a pair of AEs was a big deal to me. One step at a time.

3. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Then AS will do you nicely...I have a pair of simple chelsea oxfords from both EGreen and AS....have to say the EGs piss on the As -- from a great height, I might add....but the AS are nice too, just not in a quality comparison.

4. cgo

cgo Senior member

I can not take credit for this polishing as it is my friend who does it. He told me he uses two shades of brown, black, and neutral.

Here is more pic of it. He asked me to leave the shoes with him longer as he does not feel that it is "finished"

[​IMG]

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member

The AS are very good quality. You are not going to save money in the long run by buying the GGs. Following this argument to its conclusion, wouldn't it be better to get GG bespoke instead? Really the more-expensive-stuff-is-actually-cheaper argument is massively overplayed on SF. It may be better, and especially better than someone who has a shopping addiction who can't stop buying cheap stuff. But if you don't really care and you just want to get something that looks decent for as little money as possible, GG is not the way to go.

2 people like this.
  6. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Okay, thanks. Damn that's hot makes the shoes look $1k more expensive :D

7. cgo

cgo Senior member

indeed....can't wait for what the "finished" end result will look like

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

So yeah, thanks NAMOR: [​IMG] With a little flash: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

those are incredible. whats the last/fitting? mh71?

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks Stitchy!

Standard model (same as yours). TG73 6.5E (same as my EG size). Initial fit is great, just a little more fitted than the AS Millers.

Definitely done with balmoral boots now. The Shannons were really unexpected and now I have a surplus!

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking boot, wear in good health

13. Leaves

Leaves Senior member

SPECIAL EVENT MARCH 8 & 9 - A VISIT FROM GAZIANO & GIRLING - BESPOKE AND MTO TRUNK SHOW.

For all of you in Scandinavia and for those who are in Stockholm on March 8-9, please drop by Skoaktiebolaget on Humlegårdsgatan 4 where we will host a G&G trunk show together with Tony Gaziano. This is the first official G&G Trunk Show in Scandinavia!

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

15. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

There are some shoemakers who think making stunning shoes is all that matters. G&G fall into that camp. I wish they would give equal importance to the other aspects of getting a product to market — namely punctuality, accuracy, supply chain management and generally approaching this business a bit more professionally.

Upon commissioning an Made-To-Order pair, you may be told it takes 3 months. That has been known to extend, ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’, to as much as seven months. By then, what can you possibly do but wring your hands in silence. You have already coughed up a non-refundable deposit of 50%.

Perhaps you prefer going to their website and ordering a ready-to-wear pair of shoes from there. All sizes are shown in stock and so you order yours. Only to receive an email a few days later saying they don’t have the size in stock and so sorry but do you mind waiting for a couple of months while they make one for you. If it isn’t in stock, what is it doing on the website? Oh, it’s an oversight…we’re so sorry. No big deal, here’s a refund. Did we say how sorry we are? Umm...ok, but why not just try to be a bit more switched on instead of being sorry?

G&G can make the most beautiful shoes in the universe. But it matters not one jot if they can’t get them where they really belong….not on a pedestal at a trunk show, nor between the pages of a cool website. But on the feet of their customers.

PS. No idea why it's showing up in all caps...certainly didn't intend to shout.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

What is the average wait time for MTO GGs at the moment? I was told about 6 months last time I checked, which was in November...

17. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] and APPLAUSE Fiddler. You've nailed it except for the ' most beautiful shoes in the universe ' part. that is just not so.

18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Kindly defend, good sir... :)

19. Nick A

Nick A Senior member

Bespoke-England 2013 "Made to Order Shoes of the Month": February

The 2 MTO's this month which will have the usual MTO sur charge removed saving £135.00 Non EU and £160.00 for EU

February Shoe 1:

Style: Sinatra
    Material: Chestnut Hatch Grain
    Size: ANY SIZE
    Last Shape: TG73 Classic Square
    Sole: Oak Bark Single Leather soles or Double Leather Soles

Price is £635.00 Non EU / £765.00 for EU

Trees if required... G&G Lasted Shoe Trees...£110.00 Non EU or £135.00 EU...OPTIONAL

Shipping Cost: £40.00

Estimated Delivery: May / June.

Images show Sinatra in Chestnut Hatch Grain with Oak Bark Leather Soles. Sinatra is a sleek Wholecut style and Hatch Grain is becoming a popular material which gives a wonderful subtle patina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. in stitches