Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

Look brand new in pictures. Most have been worn as they come to break them in at least. I have too many to count, but a couple of dozens at least.

2. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

You lucky guy, enjoy them. Do you polish a shoe per day or do you just give them to a shoemaker when it's time?

3. Saratorial_Splender

Thank you.
    I polish my shoes myself. There is a lady at Denver Airport that knows me and keeps some Saphir on hand on the occasian when I am travelling through DIA. I known her for over 20 years and she is the best.
    Other than her, No one else allowed to polish them. I am affraid they will ruin them with bad materials and too much silicone.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

4. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Understood. Shoes like that need to be taken care of properly :) Still waiting for some more G&G pics :D

5. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I think that you might be mistaking this last with the DG70, as this is not sleek at all. The GG06 is the round last that they do, and would suit a country shoe just fine....I think that the angle of the picture misrepresents the actual shape of the toe.....

If you know the GG06 well and are not mistaken, then I must simply say that I disagree....

Another thing is that G&G's actually have some shape to them, last shapes on RTW shoes that look like they could actually be bespoke, where as Tricker's and the likes have more general fitting and bulbous lasts that look a lot more clunky.....maybe this is the actual difference that doesn't sit right on your eyes??

6. Saratorial_Splender

I agree with Justin. IMO the G&G TG73 is more sleek than both the GG06 or DG70. However, unless you like contemporary looks, the TG73 might be too sleek for you. I like the TG73 and I have some made on their Deco last as well, which is a modified (on the sleek or pointy side) of the TG73. Different than TG73, but its closeset last among G&G lasts.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

GG06 is not as pointy as say JL 7/8000 or DG70, it is still very well refined shape. Clunky lasts have shapes as well, that's why they are addressed as such. Different lasts at the last-sleekness spectrum should be appreciated and evaluated on separate criterion.

On the other hand, I think its best to match the sleekness of the last with the formality of the shoes. It's a style choice. Nothing wrong with a pair of boots in DG70/TG73 with triple stitch Norwegian storm welt, commando sole, patent leather upper, and silk laces. And nothing wrong with a pair of opera pumps in Vass Budapest last with pigskin leather, blake rapid construction, and rainbow colored bow.

Different lasts for different styles.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

inside talk(above)

imo, it's just not their territory. i've yet to see a GG "country style" shoe, as a synoym, which is pleasing to the eye. not talking about craftmanship.

9. The Shoe Snob

I am very familiar with the idea of different lasts for different styles.....

After re-reading your original comment, I think that I understand what you are now talking about and that I had it in my mind that you were referring to the toe shape when you said 'sleek'. But now I believe that you are actually referring to the way in which G&G lasts tend to have a lot of curvature and shape (this being the sleekness of which you were referring to?), which makes them look like killer dress shoes, but not ideal for making heavy country shoes.....

What you are saying (if this is the case) makes sense.....but I still think that this model looks alright, in the sense that it would appear to be a 'smarter' country shoe, if one could exist.... to each his own I guess...

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

It's not only about last shape and curvature but also about the proportion of the leather patterns and the balance of last shape, leather pattern, sole choice, and welting options. I digress...

The pair in question looks awfully off balanced to me with its welt and commando soles swallowing and dominating the upper. So either decrease its sole/welt by making it double taper to single leather sole or dainite, or increase the upper weight by making it a blucher instead of an oxford. To each his own. :)

12. The Shoe Snob

Fair enough, you make good points and i do see what you are saying....

13. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

I have these coming i can't wait! [​IMG]

14. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

15. Saratorial_Splender