1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. nutcracker

nutcracker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hi Folks,

Due to popular request, here is my scanlation of the EG Dover dissection (from June issue of MEN'S EX). Again, I attached a crisper image below.

Enjoy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior Member

Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.

Hey, if you can sell something for 10.5 k and not 9 k, who would sell it for 9 k?
    Anyway, even if U VAT is 17.5% or 20%, you would never get the exact same amount due to local agents wanting a cut for their expenses etc.

3. jamestct

jamestct Well-Known Member

Thank you for a great thread! Are there any good comparison shots between the different G&G lasts and EG lasts? Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

4. nutcracker

Here is my Weston scanlation (from June issue MEN's EX). This shoe won the top score among the 4 (including an Alden shell). Once I'm done, I might compile the scanlations and post it in a new, more appropriate thread. For now, enjoy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. onix

onix Distinguished Member

^ This is awesome. Thanks Nutcracker.

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

7. Nick A

Nick A Affiliate Vendor

I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

This is correct.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Thanks Jorge. I'll think about translating the other pages if I can squeeze in some time [​IMG]

JM Weston got top marks for quality leather inside out, the accuracy of the upper stitching, using old-school construction method such as the midsole cut with a fuller/groove (?), flexible midsole made of split leather, a comfortable fitting last, and being the most inexpensive one from the crop also helped. In Japan, Golf costs 98,000 yen ($1200 USD), vs 137,550 ($1700) for EG Dover, and a whopping 155,000 yen ($1900) for G&G St. James.

side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while[​IMG]

9. Jorge

Jorge Senior Member

Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

10. jamaican

jamaican Senior Member

You're thinking that G&G is pocketing the difference?

rethink!

Not thinking that... had assumed that it was a matter of customs combined with upcharge. Mr Iyorito says otherwise, fair enough. J

11. banis

banis Senior Member

Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.
    We have about the same approach in lux retail in Russia. [​IMG]

12. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Distinguished Member

Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

That was my observation as well.

This is correct.

Interesting.

13. nutcracker

^ This is awesome. Thanks Nutcracker.

very very awesome!

Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

Thanks fellows. There's a lot of really informative and fun shoes articles out there in Japanese (especially from MEN's EX), and I don't think it will hurt anyone here to get to chance to read some of them.... I'm currently working on the Alden page, which will complete this article, hopefully soon! Thanks for all the encouragement!

14. nutcracker

side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while[​IMG]

Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei [​IMG]

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei [​IMG]

dont worry i wear my bespoke shoes in run down area's in ShenZhen without issue, in fact they wear better than cheapo's