• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

do any of you still wear allen edmonds after buying G&G's? I can't seem to get the balmora to work with my foot so I am considering buying from another shoe maker BUT I can not justify 700 USD + on a pair of shoes that will not be worn more than 4 times a month. But, I might be able to justify 400-500 USD, do you guys have any suggestions?

This is the G&G thread but I'm going to mention Carmina Shoemaker and Crockett & Jones in this price range.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Name an English Last that is pointier.

You want pointed English shoes, but REALLY pointed English shoes? Go to George Cox bootmakers. They have a New York retailer too. I don't know what they are called, but ask for their "Winkle-pickers" and you will see sharp pointies which make Dolce & Cabana or French shoe maker Corthay look quite blunted.

Depending on how much you want to pay, you could go take a look at John Lobb of St James and see some of their creations.

The Hermes John Lobb "Capital Collection" are quite pointed (see the "Beijing")

What about these John Lobb Golf Shoes?

Will you be playing golf at "Wind & Willows Golf Course" with Mr Toady any day soon?

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Elongated footwear in a 1912 drawing (thanks Sator)

Boots (obviously bespoke) made for Gabriele d'Annunzio (1863 - 1938), probably about the same time.
dAnnuncio.png
Fantastic find!! will be adding that to my album - is there any way I can find verification of the source so I can keep it out of the crowded "source unknown" part of my album Bengal? Any chance of figuring out who actually made those?

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

is there any way I can find verification of the source so I can keep it out of the crowded "source unknown" part of my album Bengal?
Any chance of figuring out who actually made those?

Here is a link to a feature on the d'Annunzio collection in Italian GQ:

http://www.gqitalia.it/show/lifesty...iegato-al-vittoriale-da-giordano-bruno-guerri

Look out for the shoes with the ******.

After a hundred years, it might be a bit difficult to know which firm(s) of shoemakers did actually work for Signor d'Annunzio.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Ha there were about 5 shoes out of the 100 pictured that I might wear.

Well done!!! Bravo!!

That makes you 5% stylish - but at least you are on your way!

I know you are going to enjoy the trip to becoming 100% stylish!

Don't you just LOVE the S/F site?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the G&G thread but I'm going to mention Carmina Shoemaker and Crockett & Jones in this price range.

+1. i have both, and i enjoy them both very much. while G&G is my favorite, there is no reason not to own other makers as well.

they all have something unique to offer imo.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. i have both, and i enjoy them both very much. while G&G is my favorite, there is no reason not to own other makers as well.
they all have something unique to offer imo.
For me G&G is not a everyday shoe you want to damage. While I use C&J for work and other stuff and G&G when I want to look extra nice :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT WANT

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Silvano Lattanzi has paid homage to Mr d'Annunzio's penile footwear fascinations with a model they call 'Mondieu!'
This picture is provided by none other than The bengal-stripe.
Lattanzi.jpg

That looks exactly like the brogue pattern on most toe caps!! I wonder whether Lattanzi's clicker was away when this pair was cut and he thought he would just go ahead and get the polisher to polish the brogue pattern on the quarters instead?

Must have been a prick of a job to do!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics