1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

These are truely awesome! Very nice indeed. Enjoy.

2. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Just WOW wear in good health !!

3. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

+ 100

4. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Question for people. I'm getting married next summer and I want a really special pair of shoes to wear for it. I have one pair of G&Gs so far in vintage chestnut, so not really wedding material, so I'm thinking about getting a black pair. My question is if I decided that I was going to stretch to a bespoke pair, how much better would the fit and feel be than a regular MTO shoe (incidentally the pair i have already are 12.5G and fit well)? I bumped into Dean last night at Leffot and he told me they'd been up at a hotel in midtown doing bespoke fittings and I said that I'd love to do that but I just can't justify the expense, but if I can't justify it for my wedding, when can I ever?

5. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

I don't think you will see a massive improvement on the fit but it will feel special on your wedding day as you've had a pair made for it.

I'd maybe go MTO Deco if your thinking black

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

medtech - those are :drool: great kops from you today. feet and wrist!!!!

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Ty - Next summer is not long enough away for your first pair of bespoke shoes especially if you do not live in the same country as the makers and must have them by a specific date. Spare yourself the stress and get some MTO especially if their standard lasts fit you.

8. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

You might well be right. But they are in the city today and I could (potentially) get measured up today for them, which would make the timing much more viable and the wedding isn't until August.

9. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

I thought with bespoke, they'll measure you today and then send back a last for a fitting in 6 months or so time (the next time they're back in the us), and then about 6 months later they'll send you back the bespoke shoes....

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Go get an appointment and ask. Worst case you can find out your true RTW size instead of squeezing into a pair that fits poorly like many examples in this thread.

11. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

While Nick is often praised for superlative customer service, I thought I would share an example for which both Bespoke England and G&G coordinated to go above and beyond to ensure client satisfaction. Last month when checking up on my order, I mentioned to Nick that my Arran and Hove - despite G&G last adjustments - fit a bit loose. I had the chance to meet up with Nick in London and passed both pairs to him in exchange for my newly-delivered Mayfair in vintage rioja.

Both the Arran and Hove had the half sock replaced with a full sock, the shoes themselves appear to be smartly shined, and I received a complimentary tin of what appears to be G&G branded Saphir wax - has anyone seen this? Keep in mind, this service was delivered promptly and without fuss for two pairs I purchased in 2011.

In the interim, I experienced excessive creasing with the recently-delivered Mayfair, which are currently back at the factory undergoing adjustment at Nick's suggestion.

As much as I love these shoes, the exceptional customer service by both Nick and G&G cannot be overstated. :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Masa said GG branded waxes are supplied by La Cordennerie Anglaise (which in turn are made with their specification by Avel)

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Will still hold on to my Saphir :)

14. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

Absolutely amazing!

I'm currently working with Nick on a few MTO options, he is a pleasure to deal with.

15. in stitches

medtech - that is truly awesome. nick and GG are both at the very top of the customer service game.

16. jmills

jmills Senior member

Are those the Vintage Oak Hove? Must... buy...

17. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I have a tin of G&G wax that Nick sent me when the factory refinished a pair to correct some problems. It's much softer than Saphir.

18. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

I'm going to stop by and talk to them about it. I'll come back and share what I find and what I choose to do and then in something like 5-10 months hopefully I can add some new pictures to this thread. :slayer:

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1. And a hearty tin at that

20. in stitches

i want some :(