• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My oldest G&Gs with many kilometers on their meter, I will probably have to resole them this autumn
since I wear out the toes much faster and now I've worn out almost half of the sole at the toes

did you ask, if it is too late for rubber toe taps? even flush metal ones, could still be possible.

imo, a worn toe is not the factor for a full resole.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Totally disagree, one of the most boring lasts I have ever seen (and I had a full and semi brogue 06), I'd take any round last from, C&J, AE and Alden before that for a full brogue, not to mention EG & Vass or italians like ferragamo tramezza etc.

fair, although surprising. the development of a last takes a lot of knowledge. not an easy task.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I unserstand,, maybe I just don't understand the last and I'm too harsh, it's just imo of course.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ I unserstand,, maybe I just don't understand the last and I'm too harsh, it's just imo of course.

well, you have first hand information. it really looks balanced on the pics.

claes500

Reaction score

did you ask, if it is too late for rubber toe taps? even flush metal ones, could still be possible.
imo, a worn toe is not the factor for a full resole.

Oh I could perhaps see if it would be possible to add flush toe caps, I hope so since I think the soles should have a few years left otherwise

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh I could perhaps see if it would be possible to add flush toe caps, I hope so since I think the soles should have a few years left otherwise

would be great. good luck.

emc894

Reaction score
Seriously thinking about buying a pair of these: But may switch the grey suede out for black. Thoughts? I think they are pretty bad ass.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seriously thinking about buying a pair of these:
But may switch the grey suede out for black. Thoughts? I think they are pretty bad ass.

are they on their famous round toe last?

emc894

Reaction score
That is the 06. I feel that because of the suede upper, I should avoid any lasts that are too eye catching. One indulgence per pair of shoes seems about right.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally think the DG70 remains as classic and conservative as the 06 and yet is just a bit better balanced for this sort of make up.

I'd personally go with black suede on the upper.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
That is the 06. I feel that because of the suede upper, I should avoid any lasts that are too eye catching. One indulgence per pair of shoes seems about right.

That looks like the Kent2 with a toe cap.

I saw a pair of Kents in black with black croc uppers. I hate exotics, but I must have a pair of those. The croc contrast on that shoe was really extremely understated and instead of the loud "BLING and class" which croc normally does, these said "bling and Class"

The price was under $1600 as well, which I thought was a real bargain.

Nik will be getting a call soon.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they write DG70, TG73 and so on. Is there any special reasons, what does it stand for or mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics