• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did they feel comfortable or snug when you first wore them and have they stretched significantly? I would hate to buy them a 1/2 size up and they stretch too much making them loose

I find that the lovely leather G&G uses loosens up a good bit with wearing. My personal advise would be to select a size that is quite snug upon initial try on.

My first pair of G&Gs (the exact Oakhams you mentioned) is 1/2 size larger than my second two pairs and the difference in terms of creasing is dramatically different.

When I first put on the smaller sized pairs I temporarily paniced because they were so tight - but after just a day of wearing they were PERFECT!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gemming is a substitute for the "holdfast."
Around the perimeter of the bottom of the last...in the forepart, esp....the last will have a sharp corner defining the bottom. This is known as the "featherline." The "feather" is the extreme edge of the insole...cut to the featherline. Often when the shoe is handwelted and there is sufficient substance, the feather will be "rabbeted."
Further in, a groove or cut is made in the insole which parallels the feather. This is known as the "channel."
The space in-between is the "holdfast."
The stitching goes from the channel through the holdfast, emerging in the feather and then piercing and including the upper and welt in the "inseam." The inseam connects the welt and upper to the insole.
Something like this:

Thank you VERY much for the detailed explanation.

Having done some reading, and soliciting the advise of kind experts such as yourself I am FINALLY comfortable that I understand the concepts of the various welting/seaming methods in terms of diagramatic arrangement. As an architect this is important to me, as this is a large part of how my mind works.

Thank you again.

Xenon

Reaction score

So what exactly has to be handstitchted there to be truly handmade?
(this is not a serious questions, if you show me a single pair of formal shoes (a left or right one would be sufficient actually) of any maker in the world that comes with handsewn uppers I will buy you a drink).

Well I consider a black stingray wholecut to be fairly formal and I can't imagine G&G or any bespoke maker using a sewing machine to close a stingray upper. With a sewing machine the needle would deflect off the nodules and the stitches in the lining would be awfully messy looking. By hand you can easily guide the needle in between the bumps (although uneven spacing the thread becomes invisible) but still line up and space the holes in the lining. Slow and tedious as hell though.

Anyone: If the high end makers are using a michine on stingray any idea how its done?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well I consider a black stingray wholecut to be fairly formal and I can't imagine G&G or any bespoke maker using a sewing machine to close a stingray upper. With a sewing machine the needle would deflect off the nodules and the stitches in the lining would be awfully messy looking. By hand you can easily guide the needle in between the bumps (although uneven spacing the thread becomes invisible) but still line up and space the holes in the lining. Slow and tedious as hell though.
Anyone: If the high end makers are using a michine on stingray any idea how its done?

I don't do stingray for the very reason you mention (as well as others) but I have seen it done. And it was always done by machine and it was always a mess...if you looked close.

I would not think that doing it by hand would result in a significantly better appearance excepting the fact that a machine driven needle might break a pearl now and again. Regardless of how it is done, if the machine driven needle deflects because it cannot penetrate the pearl, rest assured that the hand-held needle would not be able to penetrate the pearl either and so would have to enter the stingrray in just about the same position.

yarnsforth

Reaction score

I find that the lovely leather G&G uses loosens up a good bit with wearing. My personal advise would be to select a size that is quite snug upon initial try on.

My first pair of G&Gs (the exact Oakhams you mentioned) is 1/2 size larger than my second two pairs and the difference in terms of creasing is dramatically different.

When I first put on the smaller sized pairs I temporarily paniced because they were so tight - but after just a day of wearing they were PERFECT!

My experience with G&G has been exactly the same.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Stitch,

Good News..I’m collecting your shoes on Friday. I’ll ship them with my faster shipping service so they should be with you on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I’ll email tracking details and some photos of your finished shoes on Friday.

Regards,
Nick.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Stitch,

Good News..I’m collecting your shoes on Friday. I’ll ship them with my faster shipping service so they should be with you on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I’ll email tracking details and some photos of your finished shoes on Friday.

Regards,
Nick.

Time for a sing-along!

OH HAPPY DAY!............

THE DAY THE SHOES ARRIVE!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Time for a sing-along!
THE DAY THE SHOES ARRIVE!

:cheers:

ill try and post the pics he sends in anticipation of this event.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe a star is rising in the east.........

The clouds are parting and a magnificent chorus seems to be eminating from teh sky..............

Why do I feel an urge to get on my camel and travel to Baltimore bearing gifts?

Life is so confusing!

:D

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers.gif

ill try and post the pics he sends in anticipation of this event.

Oh yes, will watch them in my phone while im taning, to get even more relaxed
colgate.gif
! Now I need to pack my bag guys, see you in a week! Will have some great pictures for you all!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe a star is rising in the east.........
The clouds are parting and a magnificent chorus seems to be eminating from teh sky..............
Why do I feel an urge to get on my camel and travel to Baltimore bearing gifts?
Life is so confusing!
:D

lol, please do!

Oh yes, will watch them in my phone while im taning, to get even more relaxed :colgate: ! Now I need to pack my bag guys, see you in a week! Will have some great pictures for you all!

see u soon. have fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads