Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

While an unpopular opinion around here, i agree. I dont really like the styling at all.

The styling is what makes me respect G&G more than other more classically styled brands like Edward Green. Gaziano and Girling is willing to a step forward away from playing it safe and making the same classic looking shoe that's been around for the past 100 years. The majority of the above photos are from the more aggressive Deco line, however there are many G&G shoes that can also satisfy the classic enthusiast. It's easy to make the same old shoes one the same conservative last shape over and over but it's nothing new and it's not special.

2. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    I don't think Tony would appreciate me posting pictures of him spitting on shoes, so here's the next best shot.

In his own words, "Spit has some properties that brings out a shine better than anything else."

[​IMG]

And here is an amazing young talent hard at work hand finishing the bench made shoes.

[​IMG]

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

The styling is what makes me respect G&G more than other more classically styled brands like Edward Green. Gaziano and Girling is willing to a step forward away from playing it safe and making the same classic looking shoe that's been around for the past 100 years. The majority of the above photos are from the more aggressive Deco line, however there are many G&G shoes that can also satisfy the classic enthusiast. It's easy to make the same old shoes one the same conservative last shape over and over but it's nothing new and it's not special.

If you are speaking from an English point of view, Lobb has been pushing this envelope for many years, to varying degrees of success.

As for calling what G&G is doing with the Deco range new and special, I urge you to take a closer look at Aubercy and Corthay (amongst others) who have been producing lasts and shoes like these for decades.

4. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

As for calling what G&G is doing with the Deco range new and special, I urge you to take a closer look at Aubercy and Corthay (amongst others) who have been producing lasts and shoes like these for decades.

Corthay is actually what immediately came to mind while handling the Deco shoes. To each his own, but I really prefer the mainline G&G range - classic with a contemporary twist.

5. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    If you are speaking from an English point of view, Lobb has been pushing this envelope for many years, to varying degrees of success.

Agreed.

If I may clarify, when you refer to Lobb, I presume you mean John Lobb Paris. If this is the case, as with Corthay and Aubercy, the designers are French. Specifically, they represent a far more progressive French or continental approach to shoe design than say the traditional English shoe design, West End or otherwise.

Perhaps a better way of looking at this is that the G&G design within the context of English shoemaking is a little more progressive. They are closer to what Anthony Cleverley was making when he was alive. His design was characterised by a sharper, narrower last that is sleeker due to the use of a blind welt (thanks Teemu for this bit of information). You can of course find this with the Anthony Cleverley RTW range as well.

My 2 cents, based on spending a week talking shop with William and John Hunter Lobb, Teemu-Pekka Leppanen, Emiko Matsuda and, of course Tony.

6. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

Those are two other shoe companies that I enjoy. I usually assume that people who dislike G&G tend to enjoy the classic and less edgy look.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps a better way of looking at this is that the G&G design within the context of English shoemaking is a little more progressive..

Yes Gaz, I agree. And if we look back a few years, simply an extension of what Tony did at EG by introducing the 888 and 82 lasts.

8. Navi

Navi Senior member

[​IMG][/IMG]​

some Armoury based G&G's

The one on the right is fucking beautiful... God damn. Color is just amazing, although it kind of looks like it would hurt my feet the way the side is shaped. But I would endure the pain just to wear those shoes. [​IMG]

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I don't think Tony would appreciate me posting pictures of him spitting on shoes, so here's the next best shot. In his own words, "Spit has some properties that brings out a shine better than anything else."

Totally agree...

10. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Luk Cha will take some on foot shots on Saturday

"Spit has some properties... better than anything else."

Totally agree...

:edmorel:

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

To go back to the durability of stingray leather, I believe it's one of the most durable, if not the most durable skin available. There's so many of these mineralized beads that a shoe doesn't have just a few dedicated flex lines, therefore taking the stress off of one particular area of leather.

Here's a tidbit I found:

12. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, but there is a mocha calf color, not suede, that I'm looking for. Bespoke England offers it in their mto selection.

Sorry, forget my earlier post, yes there's a Mocha Calf (aniline), quite close to Vintage Chestnut in colour. Espresso Calf is much darker.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The one on the right is fucking beautiful... God damn. Color is just amazing, although it kind of looks like it would hurt my feet the way the side is shaped. But I would endure the pain just to wear those shoes. [​IMG]

+1

14. hsiangwang

hsiangwang Active Member

Dear medtech_expat

Thanks for your great picture of DECO.
    I have heard that the last is pointer than current last.
    Do you know the size comparison to the DG70?
    If I wear UK8E in DG70, what size should I wear in DECO last?

15. mzmart

mzmart Active Member

We really need to see pictures of the deco samples as worn on the foot. Otherwise its gonna be a long wait until the first set of orders can be viewed.