• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI gmto is a go

We have 8 Es including Justin. I think Mh71 seems to be the winner. I think @Skoaktiebolaget can take over now.

Thanks for playing everyone.

St James II in Pearl Grey GMTO

Specs:
Price: 8800 SEK ex-vat (approximately 1000 USD)
Model: St James II
Color: Pearl Grey
Last: MH71
Sole: Oak Bark Sole (Black)
Lining: Navy

@ironist - F
@stevent - F
@venividivicibj
@charliechan - E
@TtownMD - E TG73
@Iyor
@nickrut - E MH71 or F TG73
@Steel28 - E MH71
@mypants - F
@justinkapur - E
@mw313 - narrow
@prh002 - E
@patliean1 - F
@lightseason - F or E
@SoGent - E

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI gmto is a go

Question:

Is the finish on these shoes somewhat like or is it actually the same as John Lobbs or Vass's museum leather or is it something that looks similar but something different entirely.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dddress now I am in same boat as you lol with the st James last this one is going to be new to me meaning I don't own that last currently. So if you find out some info please share.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dddress now I am in same boat as you lol with the st James last this one is going to be new to me meaning I don't own that last currently. So if you find out some info please share.
Basically from what I've gathered from the last couple of pages this Last has more room in the toe box when compared to the TG73. Since the TG73 tends to be a bit snug for me this is good news. Other than that I wont know for sure until the my current order for the St James II arrives in a few months. I do have a Thorpe on the same Last due to arrive in about a month, but tend to be a bit more roomy on the same Last based on experiences I have had so far.

Not so sure I want to order the same shoe in different colors, or if I really want to order this one before receiving the first. I would of course feel better about it if I already had the first one to know how it actually works out. At least I have until the end of the month to decide.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basically from what I've gathered​ from the last couple of pages this Last has more room in the toe box when compared to the TG73. Since the TG73 tends to be a bit snug for me this is good news. Other than that I wont know for sure until the my current order for the St James II arrives in a few months. I do have a Thorpe on the same Last due to arrive in about a month, but tend to be a bit more roomy on the same Last based on experiences I have had so far.

Not so sure I want to order the same shoe in different colors, or if I really want to order this one before receiving the first. I would of course feel better about it if I already had the first one to know how it actually works out. At least I have until the end of the month to decide.

I am ordering it I am assuming you take the same size on both last. I enjoy the snug fit on tg73 and this one little room is fine as long as I don't have to go down a half in size etc

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am ordering it I am assuming you take the same size on both last. I enjoy the snug fit on tg73 and this one little room is fine as long as I don't have to go down a half in size etc

Understand, and this is how I ordered the Thorpe and St James II I have on order now. However I have neither at this point, and I have no idea how the St James looks or fits me yet.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Understand, and this is how I ordered the Thorpe and St James II I have on order now. However I have neither at this point, and I have no idea how the St James looks or fits me yet.

Oh wow ok got yea you are much more dare devil than me lol I have st James 2 but tg73 last but I guess I will take same size this st James :)

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also,do you know if the G&G shoe tree are lasted vs soak shoes tree I know they are made in England but are they lasted or are they one trick pony fits all but not lasted etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads