Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And PG loves beating the shit out of his suedes.

but shhh... dont say suede too much otherwise NOBD will show up.... :)

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i told him :foo:

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i'm not a scientist, i'm a user.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

so you are...

more of a jesse
    [​IMG]

than a walt?
    [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i know neither, but the answer is: yes.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Personally, I would go with calf if I'm going to be limited to only one pair of high end shoes. I just find calf to be a little more versatile than suede in terms of what I like to wear it with, and if I have only one pair of G&G, I'm going to want to be able to wear it with as many different things as possible.

Also, the fact that you seem to second-guessing your initial inclination this much already suggests to me that you will regret going with suede, my own tastes notwithstanding.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

8. in stitches

i thought as much. they are characters from a tv show called breaking bad about a HS teacher turned master meth cooker and his drop out user partner.

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

That's the difference...

In the first place, the word "delicate" can mean a lot of things--including tensile (rip) strength, surface density, even the permanence of finish. And it can mean one thing to the maker and another to the user.

As a shoemaker, I think in terms of tensile strength first because it not only affects how the shoe is made but how long and well it will wear.

I think of the density...the durability of the grain surface second, but again only because it will affect the appearance given more or less time. It might be remarked that one of the more durable finishes is...wait for it...corrected grain. (even if the underlying leather is crap)

As for the finish, I only worry about it when I am working the leather--with some leathers even the base colour can be fragile and fugitive. This is something I will, and should, evaluate before I start cutting or making. [ I am not particularly enamored of finishes that are applied after the fact. Unless done very well they look phoney to me and have no real logic as to how they are applied or what they are purportedly representing.]

The user seldom sees or considers any of this and as a result his/her understanding is not only incomplete it is superficial.

All that said, I'm not a scientist either...I'm just interested at a level that some cannot muster and prefer to rely on logic and experience than half-baked opinions.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well played cheeky monkey

11. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

G&G sizes go up to 13.

12. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Same with me...all significant purchases must be vetted first. It's the price we pay for being married to incredible ladies.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

But haven't you said that you consider Delos one of the best? All of his finishes look mostly just like mirror finishes. Is this what you mean by "applied after the fact"?

14. in stitches

:)

:nodding:

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Yes, but consistent with what I said above, I'm looking at Delos' workmanship long before I'm looking at his finish.

That said, it's the antiquing that I'm talking about more than any simple spitshine. For the most part what I've seen is more like random splotches than any reasonable facsimile of the patina that would naturally arise from long and loving use.

What's more such finishes are not only hard for the end-user to maintain...another form of delicacy...they're often impossible to actually duplicate once lost.

They cover up the leather in the same way that rouge and pancake cover the skin of a woman--it's make-up. And to a very real degree obscures the natural beauty of a piece of leather.

I'm not totally against after-the-fact finishes, they're simply low on my list of indicators of quality.

The user can be focused on superficialities (all too often to the point of obsession) in a way that the maker cannot afford to be. The maker has to deal with substance.