• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The general fit is the same across the lasts but what makes a difference is the toes. The fit is all subjective based in how your toes are positioned and their size. If you have large toes or a big toe that sits farther out from the others, you most likely will feel like the tg73 or dg70 are too tight because they are aggressive in how the toes taper in so quickly.
If you have a large toe that goes towards the other toes or a small bunion starting, you probably will do better with the same size in all lasts because they won't put as much pressure on your big toe.

Long toes vs short toes compared to the heel to ball Length can make a difference as well. If your heel to ball length is longer than your overall foot length (I.e. UK 10 heel to ball vs UK 9.5 overall length) you probably will have less problems in the same sizes between lasts because your toes won't go up to the most tapered part of the toe boxes because you will choose the size based off of your longer measurement (in this case the UK 10).
if your overall length is longer than your heel to ball measurement (long toes) then you may need to consider changing sizes for the more tapered lasts due to the fact that your toes will go more into the tapered parts of the toe box.

Changing the width could also be a way to help this because the most important measurement is the heel to ball so your foot sits in place Better.

The other problem is how the toe fans out from the center line. Some have feet that grew inwards, some are neutral, and some grew outwards. The former is will fit all G&G lasts or all those crazy pointy lasts as asymmetrical lasts are all the rage nowadays. The middle will be a bit harder to fit but should squeeze in most w/o much problems. The latter one, which is most likely developed from unconstrained feet growth when young, will have trouble fitting in the more extreme asymmetrical lasts that biased towards the inside.

filangler

Reaction score
Guys, just a quick question.... Is the D width (US) exactly the same as the E width (UK) in size? Please advise. Thanks.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Guys, just a quick question.... Is the D width (US) exactly the same as the E width (UK) in size? Please advise. Thanks.
No. US D and UK E are "standard" widths for the country (for the most part), but are in no way related. Every width by any maker will vary by last. D and E width is not a standard dimension, per se.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, just a quick question....  Is the D width (US) exactly the same as the E width (UK) in size? Please advise.  Thanks.  

I am 9.5US D in AE last 5 & I take 9E on G&G on last TG73 fits me well. I have normal width & it works fine I am not expert if it's exactly like US D but works very well. At least in my experience.

itraxx

Reaction score
Newest addition to my rotation, soon to be on their way to me
thumbs-up.gif

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the bespoke shoe thread: Thought I'd share some pics from when I visited Gaziano & Girling and their Savile Row store a couple of weeks ago to make a bespoke order. Daniel Wegan who is the head of their bespoke operation nowadays took the measurements:

Tracings and all the info is made on G&G:s bespoke order paper:

Daniel is one of those who takes a lot of measurements, and takes them both standing and sitting. He means that it's partly since he is still learning, he'll probably reduce the amount in the future, but also because he feels safer having it all and have the possibility to check against it if he needs to:

Daniel also measured the height on several points of the feet, which I haven't seen anyone else do before:

He also took footprints on those ink-off papers:

This time he also used a foam box, but it's not something he does everytime:

Daniel's tool bag:

Here's some pic of their bespoke sample shoes. This one is made by Daniel:

For this one Shoji Kawaguchi was the maker. He used to work for them, nowadays he's all busy with his own brand Marquess:

This one if I remember correctly was actually made by Dean Girling:

Some more sample shoes and detail shots:

And finally the great hollow shoe trees made by Hervé Brunelle, who all bespoke shoes come with. They look awesome of course, but what's most impressive to me was how perfect they fitted the shoes:

The shoes I ordered is a pair of Austerity brogues in a brown patina called Wilde canyon, will be made on a soft square last, like a personalised version of the MH71-last.

When in London I also visited Foster and Son, Cleverley and Lobb, will post some pics of sample shoes and from their workshops as well when I find the time.

mcl911

Reaction score
Love all those shoes especially the one from Shoji Kawaguchi

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[\spoiler]

Got this bad boy in mail today can't be happier :slayer:
So what do you think with regards to how the shoe looks on the TG73 and more importantly how do you like the fit? Did you go 1/2 size down?

Congrats!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads