1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

You will love them it's like wearing a thick leather sock my man !!

1 person likes this.
  2. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I may have asked this before but, is E width significantly more narrow than F?

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

It's pretty much what you'd expect going up or down in width in any other brand. Significant enough to have a noticeable effect on fit, which is rather the point. I can't wear E width in G&G in my appropriate size for length (UK 9). F width works well on the last 4 pairs, though.

4. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Stopped by Zegna on Bond Street earlier today to check out the new collaboration with G&G. Some pretty unique stuff, but way more expensive than even G&G deco.

Still, it was great to try on the fitting shoes, as they're F-width versus the Savile Row store E-width standard. As the only thing that got my pulse racing was a deco wholecut that's pretty much a Cooper with a medallion, I'll be going to G&G direct when the time is right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

What was the price? We're they made to deco standards?

6. grc1

grc1 Senior member

There are 2 options: MTO and bespoke. MTO is standard sizes, widths, etc; bespoke is - well, bespoke. The MTO option was north of £2k - I stopped paying attention so can't remember if it was £2,495 or £2,945 for smooth calf options, either way there's no value to me relative to going a couple blocks down to the gents at 39 Savile Row. Exotics were in the £6k range.

No idea as to build quality for the MTO, though at that price point I'd sure as hell expect full deco - though it's a moot point for me. The Zegna collection is stunning with some distinctive models, but the ones I like are not worth the markup for me personally.

1 person likes this.
  7. othertravel

Well, I guess the markup accounts for Zegna's share.

8. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I have the Cooper deco on black, only worn them once. Should I be trying them more casually? And how are the deco's made better than the regular line?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. grc1

grc1 Senior member

I can't answer the second question - I'm sure others with expertise in shoemaking can opine.

On the first, depends on your shoe philosophy. Mine is that great shoes are meant to be worn. And Coopers are great shoes. I wouldn't pair them with jeans (my pic is of fitting shoes) but I wouldn't reserve the wholecuts for black-tie. Wear them!

10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Just breaking these VOAK Thorpes at home before they go see real world. I'm in love haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    6 people like this.
  11. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Thorpes have got to be one of the sexiest boots ever!

2 people like this.
  12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

@Steel28

Congrats on them! Pains me to have passed the gmto but have very similarly spec'ed Nevis. One thing, don't be shy to wear them with suits. They are elegant enough for that. ;)

13. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Thanks! Oh, they will be worn with tailored clothing for sure :). I'm just wearing denim around the house and getting weird looks from my wife for wearing boots at home.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  14. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Please don't wear Coopers with jeans lol, but no need to wait for black/white tie to sport them. Wear them with a suit and/or very formal SC/trouser combo.

2 people like this.
  15. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Holdens.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Excellent shoes!

Not to be confused with former US Representative for Pennsylvania, Tim Holden. There's been a lot of questions circulating on Tim's involvement with this model and I can assure you all, that there wasn't any.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. benjamin8451

benjamin8451 Senior member

18. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Hahaha, no not at all. This thread moves so slowly and in light of the recent election results on my side of the pond...I thought I would toss in some comic relief. :D

19. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

we really need some comic relief after last week.

20. othertravel

On a related note, we know trump wears Brioni suits. What does he wear shoe wise?