1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MoutonBarton

MoutonBarton Active Member

Hi... another sizing question here

I just got my Thorpe from recent Skoat GMTO (green hatch grain, GG06 last UK7.5 F)
    I find it almost half size bigger than my St. James II (MH71 UK 7.5E) and even slightly wider than my Gable in UK8E (same length though)

is it true that normally boots would be bigger (or longer ?) even in the same size?

My St. James II is a bit too snug for me (better after the stretching) and the Gable is slightly too long. That's why i thought i should be 7.5F but now it turns out to be a bit too big..

maybe G&G is really not for me..

2. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I think your size is 7.5uk E generally boot do feel little roomy vs shoes but that does not mean you should change size completely. Your 8uk E gable may be little long compare to 7.5uk E shoes. But when you go down to 7.5uk F width you are losing length of a shoe but over all volume should be same as your 8uk E gable. So your Thrope booth should be short in length but volume should be same as 8uk E shoes. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. stevent

stevent Senior member

I got my pair today, feels the exact same as my Isham in 9.5F GG06. F width adds more than just width, there is more room in instep and overall. What last is your Gable on? GG06 is a roomier last to start with

4. MoutonBarton

MoutonBarton Active Member

Thanks , I doubt if I am really UK7.5E as after 1 year I still feel the pain in my pinky toe whenever I wear it for more than 2 hours, length is right though, that's why I try 7.5F

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  5. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Mink suede Holdens -

Outside lighting

[​IMG]

Inside

[​IMG]

And some new goodies - looking forward to some new combos in my rotation!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. insy

insy Senior member

Speaking about Socks, does anyone else experience Bresciani OTC Socks being too short compared to Sozzi? Bresciani basically slipping after a while?

7. bsmw

bsmw Well-Known Member

Any advice on the fit of lazyman relative to oxford and loafer? I wonder if I should take the same size and width as I normally take for an oxford, or a slugger fit like I would take for a loafer.

8. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

For me, fits more like a loafer. Technically, it is.

9. bsmw

bsmw Well-Known Member

10. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

On a side note, have you tried the DG70 last out? I'm between sizes, so I can fit an 8.5E, 8.5F, or a 9E and they all fit decent for MH71 and GG06. I have a pair of loafer(KN14) in a 9E, and i had bad heel slippage which I alleviated with a heelpad. The 8.5E fit quite snug for me intially for MH71 and GG06, but DG70 looks more tapered so i'm concerned about my toes being squished.

11. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Exactly the same as you my friend. I'm between 8.5 and 9.

MH71 in 9E is my best fit but I have a Mayfair double monk on TG73 in 8.5F that fits well. Went for this size as I was afraid of possible heel slippage on a non-lace up and went up in width as the sharp toe box on the TG73 would have hurt my foot (lesson learnt from another pair of TG73 in 8.5E). Going down half a size gives me no issue in length but width-wise can be a problem if I keep it at E also.

I don't own any in DG70 but have tried it on in store (size 9). For me it fit well and didn't think I'd have an issue with the toe box in an E width.

I'm sure I've read on the forum before that G&G can 'stretch' the toe box if you wanted to get an 8.5E shoe but a little wider toe box.

12. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

FWIW: I also drop a half size on all lasts when purchasing a lace-less shoe. My Mayfair (TG73) and Corniche (Deco) are UK8E's while the rest of my oxford fleet is UK8.5E's. For reference I have the following lasts...Deco, MH71, TG73, GG06, and DG70.

The UK8's definitely teeter on the too-tight threshold but after a few wears in the house they ease in perfectly. Right out of the box my oxfords are "a beautiful, beautiful, thing folks"...but after they break in I need tongue pads to eliminate the *slight* heel slip.

13. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

Thanks for the information. I'm leaning towards sizing down in length and going up a width for the Savile.
    Does the DG70 feel narrower in the toes vs MH71/GG06? Thanks for the info!

14. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Compared to the GG06, yes...but as for the MH71, I would say they are about even. The Deco last would be the most noticeably more narrow. The nice thing about GG is the nuances between lasts aren't that significant compared to other makes. I'm overly particular and thankfully don't feel the need to change sizing across lasts.

15. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

If one of you gentlemen purchased the Hove in Chestnut Hatch in 7.5 from Skoak--thanks. You saved me from myself.

16. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I was at the Savile Row store in August, and tried on a boot. To the assistants surprise (and contrary to what I`ve read here- which is all models, same last), I had the same experience. It was about a size too large and too wide compared to the size I usually wear in GG laceups. Not sure though if it is to do with your F order though.

17. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

This seem to be exactly as it should. When you go up one width it's the same circumference (width refers to the girth all around the last, not the 2D width at its widest part or something like that) as one standard size up. Now, a derby with open lacing is normally a bit roomier than an oxford with closed lacing. So the fact that a derby boot like Thorpe in 7,5F feels more than half a size larger than an oxford like St James in 7,5E and wider than an oxford like Gable in 8E sounds just right to me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior member

Thanks for this info here. Did you also size down on your Burnham Chelseas in comparison with your oxfords?

19. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

You are welcome!

I did not, only for laceless shoes (loafers, monks, those weird little slip-on laceless wholecut shoes, ect.). Boots I find to be more forgiving, mostly because of the material that runs up the ankle. Additionally I can fill any additional volume with a boot sock without compromising comfort...where as I would only wear proper dress socks with an Oxford.

Just my experiences, I'm sure others will vary.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior member

Thank you again, @MrVenneri! I only have oxford/derby experience with G&G, and before jumping into its most expensive "off-the-rack" model in MTO, input and experience like yours are very appreciated, sir :)

Visions of Burnhams in Rioja Hatch and Wensum soles, on a TG-73 last invade my waking thoughts...