1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. grc1

grc1 Senior member

:lurk:

1 person likes this.
  2. Lithonial

Lithonial Active Member

Not sure how helpful my experience will be, but I had to size up half a size on my G&G Wigmores (TG73) over my Carminas (Rain last), but that was entirely for width (10.5 G on the G&G and 10 EEE on the Carminas). With the size up, the Wigmores fit perfectly width-wise, but are a little on the long side; nothing unmanageable or noticeable when I'm wearing them, but still long nonetheless. If it had been on the MH71, I'm not sure if I would have needed the half size up or could have stayed at a 10.

3. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

Othertravel - a little late to the game but I wear Carmina Rain in UK9 and G&G in UK9.5. both corresponding to a US10. I snapped some photos of them with measurements as best as possible (the G&G's are on the TG73 last). They both fit me well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks for the detailed pics. Very helpful!

5. AndrzejJopek

AndrzejJopek Active Member

Yes. I have matching 35mm belts for every GG shoe pair which are unique GG shades or finishes
    I am very happy with them.... but at 195 GBP they are too expensive for std colours such as Blk/ Brown... which you can buy from C&J /Meermin and Carmina at 100 GBP.

I can't tell the difference between them and GG.

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I agree I would only buy color like midnight blue, racing green, vintage cherry from gg

1 person likes this.
  7. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Holdens - I want one in every colour. Dead serious.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. AndrzejJopek

AndrzejJopek Active Member

[​IMG] Go for it.
    Seems Brexit wasn't as bad at all.

Calf or Suede ?
    Those in the post look very comfortable.
    My first ever suedes (C&J) are fairing up pretty well after some abuse and already gone through a cleaning process with Saphir Product and still look good.

9. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

My new second pair of Ishams received from the good folks at Skoaktiebolaget. Fine job in postage and shipping. Arrived in J[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apan within a week!

1 person likes this.
  10. grc1

grc1 Senior member

These ones are suede (mink) - would love a navy, a darker brown suede, a polo suede, maybe even black. And I would murder for some smooth calf ones to go alongside my vintage chestnut pair - black, rioja, midnight blue, pearl grey, a couple (or more) two-tones. All with swan-necks. The Holden is hands-down my favourite G&G model.

Alongside the Mitchell, Cliffe, Gatsby, (old) St.James II, ...! :inlove:

11. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Maiden voyage of my vintage cherry st. james IIs thanks to Skoak and the Brexit! Oh these are just lovely.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior member

Welcome to the club...

13. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

As this thread includes reviews in the title, I`d like to give a review of my first wear of the Ishams.

The fit is near perfect, and this was already confirmed by my Rosewood Kudu order, and hence my second purchase of the same model. A day in the shoe was absolutely fine, and there was light rain that day. I would no usually take a new shoe out in the rain, but thought it might give the sole a better break-in, and get that first level of finish off more quickly - a good choice, though the uppers didn't get wet.

A couple of small negatives or unexpected things:

1. The inside vamp creases very badly, not in a smooth fashion. My feeling is that this is the leathers finish - thinner than I expected and drier upon first wear. Obviously the finishing is top class, but that quickly breaks down, and the tanning reveals a drier and thinner leather than I expected. Not a big issue, and may get better with time, but dissapointing for a shoe of this price. Overall I`ve found the GG leathers dry and takes a polish well, but once you bend the shoe, that cream/polish does not last long. I made a comment before on a gentleman`s shoes who posts here often, the vamps always look dry on GG - this is well confirmed. Polish and cream your shoes, they look beautiful, but take a walk, and that disappears on the creased parts, quicker than on any shoe I`ve had. To me this is a sign of the quality of the leather. GG shoes never keep their polished look. I think daily loads of Saphir creams may well help, but believe its in the tanning and quality of the leathers used frankly.

2. The double sole is harder and stiffer than expected (commenting also from my Kudu`s, which I`ve worn for a few months now), but remarkably takes dings and bashes very easily, which leaves marks and dents on the sole. I can only compare to a EG Dover double sole - that was more supple and never took dents - it absorbed them, and returned to normal. GG soles take a dent and keeps it.

Overall a great shoe, but for that price I`m expecting a little better quality of leather. CJ hand grade are around half the price, and don't have these issues. A beautifully made and designed shoe, with top machine finish (stitches) with huge fans here, but given the site allows for a review, I thought I`d give my frank opinions. Even thou[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gh its the same size and last as my Kudu, the different leather and maybe different people involved and different lasting (pulling the leather over the plastic last) create small differences in dimension, which remarkably means that the two identical shoes (Kudu and calf) are more different than I thought in terms of fit and balance.

Its the second to last photo that shows what I am disappointed with - the crease and sole is below what I expect for a shoe of that price. Pull that photo up and look carefully - thats not the look of a shoe of this price, is it? Overall I`m happy, but I`m sure there are lots of readers who wonder what a shoe of this price feels like, and I hope my views are honest and frank and taken constructively.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    4 people like this.
  14. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Sorry to see that man me and you went in same batch kudu gmto & I don't have any of those issues but very good review regardless.

15. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Just to confirm, the Kudu uppers are great, and my comments above is on the standard leathers used. the sole is the same obviously. Sorry if there was confusion. Those Kudu`s must go down as one of the most interesting shoes avaliable following the russian reindeer. Believe GG still have a few left for MTO only through them for those interested.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  16. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I agree so my double leather sole has been good rosewood kudu was my first double leather then follow up with Glenco kudu boot on double leather sole. And I just got Woburn on double leather sole. So I guess I can give you better feed back in few months. I will post pictures tomorrow.

17. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Nice review and beautiful shoes, so congrats!!. I do not think it is a good idea to take your those leather soles shoes for the first wears with a very light rain outside. Do not you think that the water could have softened the outsole leather so any small impact would produce those dents ?. EG and GG use Barker veg leather, dont they?. What is really weird to me is that big crease on the side of the upper.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  18. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Thanks for the comments. It was really after rain, and as I said the uppers were untouched. The same thing happened to my Isham's in Kudu tAhat have never been in rain. And the more puzzling and worrying thing is that these dents occurred from my office chair and not on the pavement. They come from no pressure at all just by placing them on the pedestal of a revolving chair. As I said my Kudu Isham's never worn in the rain are exactly the same. This is really surprising and has never happened on any other shoe. There we go....

Correction: thinking over this again - could it have happened climbing up steps? Certainly I didn't use metal escalators so steps maybe the most likely. But the point is this never happens in other shoes and I didn't use my GG in areas I don't use other shoes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I see, I think I misunderstood you. l. What do you do you think about the big crease on the side?

[​IMG]

20. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Just means the shoe doesn't fit his arch well.

In a less likely scenario given he said the fit is great, this occurs when a shoe is a half size too big. The heel is not in the heelcup properly and thus when taking a step forward, the shoe and sole flexes when it really shouldn't if the heel is in the right spot. It's basically bending from the back when he takes a step forward because the pressure point of the heel doesn't mean the intended heel cup of the last. This has happened to me many times with shoes that were too big.