1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

To be fair, they made a one off request for me. I asked them to make me a GG version of the Galway, not their idea. This model was never in their catalog for order.

I thought they came out nice too.

2. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

I hate to disappoint you but if you're wearing a black or very dark navy tux, only black shoes would work. Why don't you just buy the C&J Weymouth cause they fit you? Unless you're renting your tux, you do need a pair of black shoes and I'm sure the Weymouths are a very solid pair that will last you a long time. Also, there will definitely be occasions which call for black shoes only.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. armsignet

armsignet Senior member

If you have a low instep, Vass will be a hard fit, at least in the U and K lasts. A boot would help sizing. If you do go for Vass and are in the US, I highly recommend a proxy. The domestic retail markup is significant. Also, Vass has sizing inconsistencies among (and maybe within) lasts, so internet sizing advice is tenuous. I do like Vass, but it took me two tries to get a good fit, and I ate some loss on re-sale. I was okay with that, but there is time (of which you may not have enough if the wedding is soon) and cost involved in trial and error.

G&G offers reliable detail finishing and reliable sizing advice from merchants like Bespoke England and Skoak. Both have steered me right based on my fits in other major brands. The tradeoff is a higher price, especially considering the additional cost of trees (trees come included with Vass).

4. armsignet

armsignet Senior member

Here are two Sinatras to fill the bill. I agree that black is preferred based on the suit color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

What color is that? Very nice now what size are you? We may have to meet up at Easton some time lol if you are still in buckeye town.

6. galileo

galileo Senior member

@chowkin Yes will be on rented tux since I rarely need to dress up, and I had my own tailored black suit unused for maybe 10 years. @armsignet the 2nd is dark oak or Rioja?

7. armsignet

armsignet Senior member

Chestnut Hatch. It is interesting how different Vintage Chestnut, Chestnut pin grain, and Chestnut hatch look. I take 7.5EUK in GG.

I'm don't live in Cbus anymore, but next time I visit, I'll PM you if I can get away from family long enough.

8. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Do you like it? How is the hatch grain & holds up? Regardless amazing pair [​IMG][​IMG]

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Sounds like plan do give me heads up if you can.

10. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] love the Sinatra. Is that the 73 last? If only they would be available as a last pair somewhere in my size.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

From my point of view, one should pay more attention to tradition and crastmanship to really apreciate all kind of shoes IMO. Vass not only follows those principles from its origins, but executes the mounting of their shoes completely by hand with not only with the best techniques (carved holdfast/shoemakers stitch/stitching outsoles/hand lasting/leather rand and pegged shank cover, peged heel stack) but with the best materials also; JR veg leather for insoles and outsoles, full veg lining, natural thread and shoemakers resin, wood pegs, metal shanks and beautiful and top notch upper leather. Most reputable bespoke makers follow the same techniques with a reason.

Most Vass inconsistencies come from bad fitting buying from internet without previous experience in the last (sizing problems) and Mr. Kuti is a pleasure to deal with always. Finally, Vass has many more iconic shoes than most of their counterparts; Theresianers, Alt Wiens and Budapesters are good examples.

I think you were not fair in your comments. No offense taken, please.

12. grc1

grc1 Senior member

I love this sentence. It tickles my logophilia on so many levels. :cheers:

13. ino68

ino68 Senior member

In terms of design, GG is much more fashion forward, and not all of their models are home runs.

For example, while Vass' U last is not the most finely proportioned, GG's deco last is equally awkward.

Also I'm mad at GG for ruining the St James II. The new model isn't anywhere near as elegant as the old---again, more fashion forward, less middle of the road, but also more awkwardly proportioned.

14. grc1

grc1 Senior member

[​IMG]

BLASPH... no, wait, I agree with you on this one. I miss the classic St.JamesII with the less-pronounced adelaide.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

LOL

16. lucci

lucci Senior member

Black Sinatra is definitely a HIT, the lines are tremendously ergonomic and the fit is like a glove !!!

[​IMG]

17. bsarosi

bsarosi Senior member

PSA: if anyone's an 8E, there are several pairs of G&G (w/ lasted trees) for sale on Grailed from a seller based in Europe (no, I'm not the seller nor am I affiliated with him in any way). All look to be in decent pre-owned condition.

18. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think you might be referring to my St. James II in Mountain Ram and Vintage Cherry. It's basically the style that unleashed the whole Kudu wave, the full story if anyone has the patience to hear me out:

I noticed that G&G had some limited stock of Mountain Ram a while back. I had seen a pair, years ago, posted by Leather Soul in Ram, and had always coveted them so when G&G had some Ram in stock I was very quick to pull the trigger on the St. James II spectator combo. When my business partner saw these he wanted the same style but in Oak but the Ram was more or less gone by then so he made it in brown Kudu/Cedar as a single
    MTO instead. This in turn triggered loads of GMTOs in Kudu (different Spectator combos, Ishams, Thorpes etc) up to the point where Dean now calls me The Kudu King because basically we are the only one that made any G&G Kudu up until very recently. I think I got the details right, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

So basically, it all began with a pair of GC by LSH!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    3 people like this.
  19. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

@Leaves - you are the Kudu King indeed. Have you essentially exhausted the supply?

You have a knack for identifying and sourcing the unusual materials. Good work, as always.

20. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Oh how I wish G&G would get some more mountain ram... totally understandable how those started the craze!