• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano bespoke v.s. Santoni FAM

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all you shoe lovers, please help. I am in the process of upgrading my shoe collection. In the past few weeks I've added two pair of chocolate tie ups, the Domenico Vacca/Stefano Bi cap toes that were on sale and the Kiton perforated/medallion wholecuts.

I'm now considering adding either one pair of Gaziano bespokes (and have scheduled an appointment with "the great one" during his west coast swing) or two pair of Santoni FAMs. My current choices are between a chestnut pair of Gaziano's Wiltshire model (from his new catalog) or the new Santoni FAM monkstraps (in a medium brown) and the Santoni 6239s (which are listed as "tan" but look quite orangy).

If faced with these choices, which would you choose -- the two pair of Santoni FAMs or the single pair of Gaziano bespokes, and why? Your thoughts and input will be most appreciated.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would try the Gaziano personally as I love the new styles but I'm a big fan of my Baird FAMs. My suspicion is that Tony probably is at a higher quality level given his background but I don't know for sure.

It may depend on what's in your closet...ie. do you need two shoes in this instance or is having one very high quality, fairly unique shoe more appealing?

If the latter then Gaziano. Just my two cents...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to say that I was disappointed in the G&G catalog. I found the styling to be very middle of the road. While I am sure the workmanship is beyond reproach, there is nothing in there that jumps out at me. The Italians seem to be willing to take a lot more risks with their shoes and henceforth come out with a lot more home runs (and a lot more strikeouts too). For a small boutique shop, the G&G offerings are very "corporate".

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
For a small boutique shop, the G&G offerings are very "corporate".
Interesting, I guess we have different views. I thought the Astaire was very stylish...I may be biased by the extreme corporate environs I work in. Anything outside the Park Avenue seems flashy some days to some people...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you can order G&G MTO which, according to Manton, is only £450, a very reasonable price.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does MTO differ from bespoke, and are the same models available in MTO?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The models shown in the GG catalog are the MTO (made-to-order) models, which are made on standard lasts, just like how other RTW shoes are made.

You can get anything you want if you go bespoke: one of the MTO models done on your custom last, which is made specifically for each of your feet, or something completely different than anything in the catalog. But bespoke is about 3x more expensive, and takes even longer to finish, for the first order.

--Andre

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it; thanks.

pkincy

Reaction score
I am biased as I have a closet full of really good RTW shoes and realize I need at least one bespoke shoe. And in a relatively middle of the road corporate style cause I expect it will quickly become my favorite shoe. Or at least I would expect it to.

Are you meeting him in SF? We should do a GTG around his trip as I will be flying in from Phoenix.

Perry

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, in SF on Friday the 13th (not sure that's a good sign, but I'm of sturdy stock). When are you scheduled?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment with Tony at 9:30AM on Saturday. I'll be flying in late Friday night (landing around 8PM) if anyone wants to get together.

Tony says that his Japanese visits turn into parties for his clients as they bring drinks, and hang out and chat with each other for hours while he measures clients.

--Andre

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I have to say that I was disappointed in the G&G catalog. I found the styling to be very middle of the road. While I am sure the workmanship is beyond reproach, there is nothing in there that jumps out at me. The Italians seem to be willing to take a lot more risks with their shoes and henceforth come out with a lot more home runs (and a lot more strikeouts too). For a small boutique shop, the G&G offerings are very "corporate".

I think the problem may be more with the photographs than with the shoes. The photos appear to make the shoes seem shorter/less substantial that (I imagine) they are and don't show off the fine leather/soles/construction and undoubtedly sexy curves we know the shoes have (but have a hard time seeing). I prefer the EG catalog's approach to photographs.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass U Last or more Kiton.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics