• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gay Voices

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do some gay guys have noticeably gay voices?

I was just flipping channels and tuned into "Intervention" on A&E after a commercial break. I heard an alcoholic talk for about 3 seconds and immediately thought to myself "his voice sounds like he's gay." I googled that episode, and sure enough he is. Here's a clip, something about his voice gives it away in the first 3 seconds.

Interestingly, there have been studies that indicate there is something identifiably different about the voice of some gays, but it hasn't progressed due to political correctness issues.

http://joeclark.org/soundinggay.html

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Already a dumb thread about this.

What's with this forum lately? Enough with the gays. We're here; we're queer. You all know it, so deal with it.

I hereby call a ****-iatus from December 2-December 10. No new **** threads unless there's a real reason, like Judy Garland comes back from the dead, Rupert Everett is elected President of the European Union, or manton decides FINALLY to write that letter.

Do I hear a second?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

What's with this forum lately? Enough with the gays. We're here; we're queer. You all know it, so deal with it.

I hereby call a ****-iatus from December 2-December 10. No new **** threads unless there's a real reason, like Judy Garland comes back from the dead, Rupert Everett is elected President of the European Union, or manton decides FINALLY to write that letter.

Do I hear a second?

Seconded. I'm right behind you.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why the most normal gay guys without the ridiculous voice are the only ones I can be around for any length of time. They aren't any less gay and I'm sure they love penis as much as that little runt from Project Runway (the one with the rooster haircut), but they don't talk like that or ahve the same mannerisms. I am tolerant of all people who don't affect me negatively, but I choose to limit my time around homosexuals who try to out gay themselves. Same way I limit my time around guidos and people from New Jersey.

In short, I have no ******* clue about the voice. Some people do have higher voices, and that's fine. But the way some of them start talking is just such a ******* affection.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't get why the most normal gay guys without the ridiculous voice are the only ones I can be around for any length of time. They aren't any less gay and I'm sure they love penis as much as that little runt from Project Runway (the one with the rooster haircut), but they don't talk like that or ahve the same mannerisms. I am tolerant of all people who don't affect me negatively, but I choose to limit my time around homosexuals who try to out gay themselves. Same way I limit my time around guidos and people from New Jersey.

In short, I have no ******* clue about the voice. Some people do have higher voices, and that's fine. But the way some of them start talking is just such a ******* affection.

Agreed.

For longer discussion, search "solidarity" and posts by member "rach2jlc."

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed.

For longer discussion, search "solidarity" and posts by member "rach2jlc."

How about, for the next 7 days, we edit every new post with the word 'gay' in it and replace those words with a randomised religion or political party?
devil.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not looking for a dumb thread. I'm genuinely curious, because from what I've seen, it is a real and documented phenomenon. If anything, I would think the gay community would be interested in exploring if there's some scientific explanation or genetic link, because that would lend credence to the claim that homosexuality is genetic and not choice as some people argue. But like the linked study says, it seems that this is one subject that is too touchy in today's social climate to explore, which to me, sucks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Kyle thinks I sound like his father.

You do dawg. You ain't sound laik no ******. You sound like a real man that loves vag.

Edit: OMg. Does this make my dad gay?
Edit2: or you're just not really gay.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I choose to limit my time around homosexuals who try to out gay themselves... But the way some of them start talking is just such a ******* affection.
Are you saying some of these guys talk like this on purpose like putting on a fake accent? As a way to identify themselves to others?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score

Do I hear a second?

Concur, even moreso than avatar stealing (which is annoying, I know [s'why I does it])...this is getting old. I am an eqaul opportunity asshole but this is too much, bordering on homophobe territory. I'll stop stealing a'tars if people quit this...actually that's not going to happen but I'll respect you a lot more.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
How about, for the next 7 days, we edit every new post with the word 'gay' in it and replace those words with a randomised religion or political party?
devil.gif

That would be excellent. Dumb threads would have such discussions as "Things that are making me Zoroastrian," "The Whig Monocle," "Are Pocket Squares Torry?" "Sikh post of the Day (50% more Labelking)" "Is this truly Lutheran?"
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I'm not looking for a dumb thread. I'm genuinely curious, because from what I've seen, it is a real and documented phenomenon. If anything, I would think the gay community would be interested in exploring if there's some scientific explanation or genetic link, because that would lend credence to the claim that homosexuality is genetic and not choice as some people argue. But like the linked study says, it seems that this is one subject that is too touchy in today's social climate to explore, which to me, sucks.
I'll play along for ONE response, then I'm going to bed. You assume there is one blanket thing called "homosexuality" and that all gays are the same and, as such, it actually makes sense to try and find commonalities and "scientific" explanations. They aren't and it doesn't. It's a social category that tries to group or umbrella together a lot of groups that have almost nothing in common. So, all this talk about "scientific links" or "documented phenomenon" might address some particular aspect of ONE of these groups, but for every one that was ensnared by said "documentation," there would be five who exist outside of it. You proceed under far too many easy "categories" and reinforce certain rather oppressive and pointless social structures, perhaps without meaning to do so. Being "gay" isn't that easy; it's not all rainbows and assless chaps. It's just as complicated (or, perhaps MORESO) and has more variations than heterosexuality and it is only because of its marginalized status that it has been more convenient for straight "documenters" to lump us all together and talk about our "real and documented phenomena" as though they are anything but offensive and hilariously inept.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Are you saying some of these guys talk like this on purpose like putting on a fake accent? As a way to identify themselves to others?

No, I think it is something that is evolved. I am not someone who believes that being gay is something you just decide one day like putting on a hat, but I do think you can choose your mannerisms. I have the same distaste for guidos who get mercislessly ridiculed on this website. They have a very mannered way of speaking as well that is endemic to their culture and their surroundings. So, yes, maybe that really queeny way of talking is a way of identifying themselves with others, but I think in some of the worst cases, it is a way of defining themselves and a way to assert their sexuality in a way that wasn't possible before.

Even though we're a more open society now, a lot of these kids who grow up realizing that they are gay can really grow up in a hellish situation, whether other people recognize (and react) to their sexuality or not. I think that once some of these guys get into a situation where they know that no one is going to call them a ****** or disrespect them on the basis of their sexuality, that they kind of go overboard with the whole fabolousness. I found the passing of Prop 8 incredibly distressing and I believe very strongly that people should be interested in the rights of gays with the same fervor and passion that they champion the rights of black people. However, that doesn't mean that I cannot find a subset of gay culture to be extremely annoying. Gay people are also just people, which is important to recognize. They all make their own individual choices, but more than one gay person chooses to talk like that, and scientific or not, I can't ******* stand it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I think it is something that is evolved. I am not someone who believes that being gay is something you just decide one day like putting on a hat, but I do think you can choose your mannerisms. I have the same distaste for guidos who get mercislessly ridiculed on this website. They have a very mannered way of speaking as well that is endemic to their culture and their surroundings. So, yes, maybe that really queeny way of talking is a way of identifying themselves with others, but I think in some of the worst cases, it is a way of defining themselves and a way to assert their sexuality in a way that wasn't possible before. Even though we're a more open society now, a lot of these kids who grow up realizing that they are gay can really grow up in a hellish situation, whether other people recognize (and react) to their sexuality or not. I think that once some of these guys get into a situation where they know that no one is going to call them a ****** or disrespect them on the basis of their sexuality, that they kind of go overboard with the whole fabolousness. I found the passing of Prop 8 incredibly distressing and I believe very strongly that people should be interested in the rights of gays with the same fervor and passion that they champion the rights of black people. However, that doesn't mean that I cannot find a subset of gay culture to be extremely annoying. Gay people are also just people, which is important to recognize. They all make their own individual choices, but more than one gay person chooses to talk like that, and scientific or not, I can't ******* stand it.
Yes, exactly. I assume you aren't one of the "sisterhood," but you get it. Thank you. /end thread. Nite folks!
Originally Posted by LabelKing
As I am not an homosexual, I feel I cannot weigh in on this.
That's not what you said last night.
frown.gif
You were weighing in pretty well then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads