• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gawker article on Unionmade and it's "non-union made" products

strangedream

Reaction score

I recently read this article on Gawker reporting the majority of products carried by Unionmade are in fact, non-union made.

Quote:
I personally have no experience with Unionmade because it's little over my usual price range, but I always admired quality items that they handle. Other than that, no other thoughts really, although there was this one time that offended even me when they were selling a $500 rip-off of Bill Cunningham's signature blue jacket.

After reading this article, however, I do agree with the arguments made by the author. I have no problem with items that they sell with prices they ask for--if there are people who would pay for such price, fine, it's their money.

But when they name their shop and design their logo as "Unionmade", you do get the impression of false advertising. I have no doubt of great quality of items that they carry, and I don't know the way Unionmade market themselves, but it's just weird to see such irony.

Any thoughts? Now, I don't really want to get any political argument about American labor, unions, etc. I've heard enough of those during the election time. I just like to share this story to those who haven't read it yet, and like read some thoughts of other SF members.

P.S. Salon also has an interesting followup column to the original article:

Quote:

Last edited:

johnnyhandsome

Reaction score
I live three blocks away from this place. I love it. Since it's so crazy expensive, I can only shop there once a year during their annual sale, but they have really, really nice stuff.

As far as the name? 7-11 isn't really open from 7 to 11. Much ado about nothing, I say.

strangedream

Reaction score
I live three blocks away from this place. I love it. Since it's so crazy expensive, I can only shop there once a year during their annual sale, but they have really, really nice stuff.
As far as the name? 7-11 isn't really open from 7 to 11. Much ado about nothing, I say.
I would love visit the shop too if I ever get to visit San Francisco which I originally planned for this Thanksgiving but had to cancel.

And good point on 7-11. But they did open from 7am to 11pm back in 40s according to wikipedia...

strangedream

Reaction score
I would also like to point out that a great deal of items at Unionmade are in fact, made in USA by small brands that are different from the corporate infrastructure.

I also know the fact that majority of garment factories in U.S. are non-union and that unions might not be sustainable option in competitive global market for most businesses.

Last edited:

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always took "Union" in their name as a reference to the USA. Like "Not Confederate Made."

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amusing. I like how their website doesn't show you the price until you checkout. :happy:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited their store last month when I was in San Fran. Lots of beautiful clothing and (more rare) sales people who are knowledgeable about the stuff they sell. Was hoping to buy a pair of their 2-tone Alden Longwings, but they didn't have my size.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The AFL-CIO even getting on their case now:

http://gawker.com/5964644/afl+cio-tells-non+union-store-unionmade-to-stop-with-the-unionmade-crap

Earlier this month we told you about Unionmade, the upscale San Francisco menswear store that sells expensive clothes that are not, in fact, union made. The cherry on top of that particular style-over-substance outrage was the fact that Unionmade's logo bears a suspicious resemblance to the logo of the AFL-CIO. And now, the AFL-CIO's lawyers have sent them an angry letter demanding they change their name and logo.

The full letter, which can be found here, demands that the company yank its handshake logo, and "change the name of your store to a mark that does not deceive the public into thinking they are purchasing items that are actually made by union workers." Of course, it's hard to tell initially whether letters like this represent serious legal threats, or are just meant to make a statement. But the AFL-CIO's letter was worthwhile for this line alone:

The AFL-CIO finds your use of the UNIONMADE mark highly misleading as the dictionary definition and understanding amongst the public is that "union-made" means "produced by workers belonging to a labor union." See Dictionary.com.

By god they're right!

We've emailed Unionmade for a response and will update if we receive one. For more on Unionmade's background, see this Peter Dreier piece.

[AFL-CIO; Previously.]

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
comments:

OLD NAVY!!!???

They're not even OLD! OR, IN THE NAVY!!!

this clears things up i was confused why when i went into the Unionmade store there weren't 6 clerks standing around every one clerk who was actually working. i was doubly confused when the clothes didn't have an extra 70% markup to cover labor costs. i was triply confused when one of the clerks got caught smoking weed and drinking during lunch and was fired.

Like your dumb ass could afford anything in the store.

Guess you should have joined a union.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads