• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gauntlet Button.....Do you keep it buttoned or let it open?

sobecane

Reaction score
or do your shirts not even have them and the area just stays open?

Cambric

Reaction score
The gauntlet button is a very important engineering invention for the full sleeve shirt for the following reasons:

1. When buttoned, it keeps the tapered forearm in shape along with the cuff, in a slim fit. Had it not been there, the palms would not have gone through in the first place comfortably.
  2. In a loose fitting, or relaxed fit shirt, the gauntlet button prevents the vent from ballooning and gathering behind the cuff, both barrel and French.
  3. The need for a gauntlet button arises first due to the length of the cuff placket. The longer the placket, the greater is the comfort, and greater is the need to put the placket in place or else it opens up. In some shirts however, the length of the placket is less and hence the button may not be required.
  4. The most important function of the gauntlet button arises when in Summer the cuff is folded up, twice, thrice or up above the elbow. The opened up button gives additional space for the sleeves to be turned back.
  5. In a loose sleeved shirt, the gauntlet button should rather be closed, so that it holds the fold in place and prevents it from sliding back uncomfortably
  6. In normal times the gauntlet button gives a formal, dressed up look when buttoned up.

It could also have a decorative function when closed with a metallic button matching the cufflinks. Some people have, especially males a wider elbow when the hands are drawn up. In such cases it is necessary to have a longer sleeve placket and a gauntlet button with it.

The thickness of the arm at the shoulder, the circumference of the elbow when the forearm is drawn and the circumference of the wrist are required to be balanced, and the gauntlet button is the functional keystone.

Finally, it gives a tailored look, more so with a button down collar.

Cambric.

Last edited:

Cambric

Reaction score
The gauntlet button is a very important engineering invention for the full sleeve shirt for the following reasons:

1. When buttoned, it keeps the tapered forearm in shape along with the cuff, in a slim fit. Had it not been there, the palms would not have gone through in the first place comfortably.
  2. In a loose fitting, or relaxed fit shirt, the gauntlet button prevents the vent from ballooning and gathering behind the cuff, both barrel and French.
  3. The need for a gauntlet button arises first due to the length of the cuff placket. The longer the placket, the greater is the comfort, and greater is the need to put the placket in place or else it opens up. I some shirts however, the length of the placket is less and hence the button may not be required.
  4. The most important function of the gauntlet button arises when in Summer the cuff is folded up, twice, thrice or up above the elbow. The opened up button gives additional space for the sleeves to be turned back.
  5. In a loose sleeved shirt, the gauntlet button should rather be closed, so that it holds the fold in place and prevents it from sliding back uncomfortably
  6. In normal times the gauntlet button gives a formal, dressed up look when buttoned up.

It could also have a decorative function when closed with a metallic button matching the cufflinks. Some people have, especially males a wider elbow when the hands are drawn up. In such cases it is necessary to have a longer sleeve placket and a gauntlet button with it.

The thickness of the arm at the shoulder, the circumference of the elbow when the forearm is drawn and the circumference of the wrist are required to be balanced, and the gauntlet button is the functional keystone.

Finally, it gives a tailored look, more so with a button down collar.

Cambric.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That

But more importantly, if you have a button there doesn't it look better buttoned?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have it, button it. I prefer shirts without them for a cleaner aesthetic.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose I should button the gauntlet buttons for the reasons set forth above. In point of fact, I never do. Anyway, when I am striving for a "dressy" appearance, I almost invariably have a jacket on over the shirt, which effectively hides my lax, slovenly practice of leaving it unbuttoned.

P.S. I just checked, and the best shirts I own--from Chan and Mercer--lack gauntlet buttons, which fact makes me feel considerably less lax and slovenly.

Last edited:

sobecane

Reaction score
It seems like the nicer brand shirts don't have them and the RTW shirts have them...Is this standard? I like them closed.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ That
But more importantly, if you have a button there doesn't it look better buttoned?

This type of reasoning has led to many a local weather man buttoning all three buttons on his suit :fu:

NoCleverName

Reaction score
It seems like the nicer brand shirts don't have them and the RTW shirts have them...Is this standard? I like them closed.
I've found it to be quite the opposite? My higher end RTW (Finamore, BB Luxury) have them, whereas my lower end BB and other brands don't. Also, RTW doesn't preclude 'nicer brand', RTW just means Ready To Wear, so any shirt that isn't made to measure or bespoke. I've seen people with them open, and it just looks sloppy to me. No sprezz, just bad.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This type of reasoning has led to many a local weather man buttoning all three buttons on his suit :fu:

Haha. Good point.

But in this case, it looks much better buttoned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads