• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gattaca Tv Series

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this old news (2009), but apparently the universe from Gattaca is being worked into a new TV series for 2011.

http://www.slashfilm.com/gattaca-to-spawn-tv-series/

As a huge fan of the film, I'm pumped. It's one of my favourite science fiction films. This is true Sci-Fi, as opposed to the science-fantasy stuff we've been seeing. (The Star Wars films, the latest Star Trek, pretty much anything billed as science-fiction adventure.)

The morality and ethics behind future technology can be explored greatly here. It's not supremely far fetched in setting, which allows the average non sci-fi fan to enjoy it as well.

Plus... the clothing in the film was sweet. That should hold some weight on this forum.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about this. I liked how the movie ended with Ethan basically going off to die with his dream.

The whole gene thing was interesting, but what made Gattaca great was the ultimate underdog story.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My limited understanding is that it's not about him, just the universe. It's a police procedural. I hope they don't go CSI, but instead hard-bit detective stories, with moral undertones. I mean, they already dress like it in the film.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2939260416/tt0119177

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously it's not going to be about him. Like I said before the movie IMO was great because of the main character. I don't know if you can recapture that and put it in a show.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the original screenwriter (Andrew Niccol) involved in this in any way?

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind. Saw that it's Gil Grant of NCIS and 24 fame. Hmmm.

aizan

Reaction score
it could be good, if the writers have watched enough anime.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
source material is a promising basis, but after BSG I have high doubts of any new sci-fi show offering anything interesting.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Obviously it's not going to be about him. Like I said before the movie IMO was great because of the main character. I don't know if you can recapture that and put it in a show.

+1

The "universe" of Gattaca was the least interesting element of the movie. The character drama was what made it good.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
source material is a promising basis, but after BSG I have high doubts of any new sci-fi show offering anything interesting.
That's a pretty pessimistic viewpoint, regardless of the prospects for this show. It's not like BSG closed the book on every possible element that could be mined from the genre. Plenty of room is left for further innovation. What BSG did so well was innovate. It was a necessary leap forward, in style and in substance, for science fiction. But one would hope that, like all groundbreaking innovations, it opens he door to plenty more.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is either going to be really good or it's going to be Total Recall 2070. There's nothing in the middle for an SF-based police procedural.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that police procedurals in general are decent (or at least are easier to write for), combined with the fact it's a new universe giving it a chance to develop unique storylines, give me hope that the series will be good.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I loved the movie. The idea of a Sci-Fi police procedural makes me yawn. I don't watch cop shows for a reason.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why must these media crossovers rape everything I love?
Simpsons movie=Sucked
Stargate movie=Good, Stupid TV show after the first season and all the spinoffs=suck

The problem with American TV is they will drag characters and situations for as long as possible till people lose interest, warping and twisting the central story till you no longer remember what it was about in the beginning.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Why must these media crossovers rape everything I love?
Simpsons movie=Sucked
Stargate movie=Good, Stupid TV show after the first season and all the spinoffs=suck

The problem with American TV is they will drag characters and situations for as long as possible till people lose interest, warping and twisting the central story till you no longer remember what it was about in the beginning.

Disagree with the Stargate part.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 42 15.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 86 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 51 18.6%
  • 31 - 40