1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Gatchaman aka Battle of the Planets

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by WindChill, May 26, 2012.

1. WindChill

WindChill Member

Older anime fans may recall this gem from the 1970s.

Gatchaman --> "Bird, go!"

BOTP --> "Transmute!" "G-Force!"

In short, five young people under U.N.-like tutelage come together and combat a well-defined global nemesis over 80+ to 100+ episodes, using bird-themed costumes, very distinctive vehicles, and superhuman martial arts skills.

As befitting the full Japanese name for the heroes (Science Ninja Team), science is an overarching theme. Although the downside doesn't get prettied up (eg. pollution), there's a touching faith that earth and its citizens will somehow overcome and carry on.

The original Japanese universe and storyline were heavily remade for the North American version. The remake is a bit patchy in retrospect, but there were high points (eg. Casey Kasem as voice of male lead). The Japanese version has a fair amount of overt hand-to-hand combat violence and enemy/non-combatant deaths, hence the attempt by the remake to make the show more kid-friendly.

2. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

It was and is a great show.

3. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Awesome show.

I had very fond memories... that were slightly tainted when I went back and watched them.

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I can sing the theme song in Japanese.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I remember enjoying it as a kid.