• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas or Electric cooking range?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlx
Kitchen is dual -- cooktop is gas, oven is electric. Outside is propane.

That's what we're doing. Gas cook top, double electric convection ovens.

To the OP, do you need to go range? Can you split things up?

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That's what we're doing. Gas cook top, double electric convection ovens.

To the OP, do you need to go range? Can you split things up?

Biggest thing is space, I have a tiny kitchen, here in NYC. If the top and the oven both can fit into a standard free range space( I think its around 30 inches wide), then I would look into it. But if its one of those separate deals in which the range and oven come separately, then its out of the question. Just don't think I have the room to do anything.

BP348

Reaction score
I like gas a lot better then electric.

Unfortunately my house is all electric.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
gas. if you ever lose power you'll still be making omelets.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're serious about cooking you need gas. It's much more difficult to control the temperature and change it quickly with electric plates.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
gas. if you ever lose power you'll still be making omelets.
LOL. Yes, quite true. Have cooked very good meals during power failures by candlelight. Almost makes you disappointed when the lights come back on. ~ H

LordWanker

Reaction score
There is a third technology"”developed first for professional kitchens, but today also entering the North American domestic market"”is the induction stove. These heat the cookware directly through electromagnetic induction and thus require pots and pans with ferromagnetic bottoms. Induction stoves also often have a glass-ceramic surface. They do heat up foods far more quickly than the electric ranges, have the same precision heat-control as gas and use less energy too.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I have done a bit of cooking on electric, one tip I would rely, is to use multiple burners for the same pan if you ever need to change heat levels. For example, you're boiling water for basmati rice, as it's approaching boiling put a 2nd burner on low. That way, when you need to simmer you can just change burners. If you turn the hot burner down to low, it'll still be too hot and you won't simmer/your basmati will be ruined.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
asian people only go gas. Kind of hard to stir fry with electric- jsut doesn't get hot enough for the wok to have a high heat.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
asian people only go gas. Kind of hard to stir fry with electric- jsut doesn't get hot enough for the wok to have a high heat.

The vast majority of gas appliances will not kick out enough BTUs to get good wok char either.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just bought a house and it has an electric stove. There is a gas line running to the house and into the garage (next to the kitchen), but not specifically to the kitchen. I've been told we could get a plumber to run a gas line to the kitchen pretty easily, but I'm thinking we might be better off with an induction range. Has anybody installed a 30" induction range/oven combination? What was your experience? How was the cost?

Thanks, H_S.

mockingboy

Reaction score
For real cooking, Gas on the Stove, Electric on the oven.

That is what a real cooking kitchen contains.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics