1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Garrison Bespoke - Our Quarterly Accessories Concept - Affiliate Vendor Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Garrison Bespoke, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Garrison Bespoke

Garrison Bespoke Member Affiliate Vendor

Update- I wanted to add a few specific points to elaborate on why we do what we do at the top of the thread!

Introducing: www.garrisonessentials.com - A Quarterly Curation of Men's Accessories.

1. Price and Value - We look to provide exceptional value when compared to buying from popular niche brands. You can get the look, the style of knot that you'd expect from these brands but at a price that is easier on the wallet and gives you opportunity for freshness through our quarterly edit. We have driven the prices down through our membership approach and ability to produce in small batch quantities through our maker integration.

2. Aesthetic: Modernized Version of Classic - we design our pieces using our makers 85+ year archive. Formerly the maker of the ties for the Italian army and silk supplier to all of your classic Italian brands. We are integrated partners with them which ensures we have access to the history and know-how, while also being able to keep prices low. We construct our ties with a light interlining to pair with a fine but heavy Jacquard silk; creating that luxury feel and that beautiful knot SF members love. Matte silk gives you the option to dress up and down.

3. Ties for Men, People in the know - The Styleforum community represents the strongest concentration of classic menswear enthusiasts who take pride in dressing. With a respect for classics but a look towards what’s modern. We feel it’s extremely important to get feedback from the community to help with the development of what well dressed men really want for future collection development and curation. Previously we worked closely with niche market ties brands for Garrison ties and this informed our choice to go with with a wool interlining so the tie keeps its shape and drapes, and for the focus on a style that is contemporary yet ultra classic.

My Invitation to the Style Forum Community.

For the first 100 Style forum members who purchase a subscription - I will include an extra tie on us. If you try us out by purchasing just the first Quarter, you can of course cancel after you receive Q1. Q1 ships at the end of March.

Have a look at the link below and thank you for reading!

Hey Everyone!

My name is Anthony, founder of a new online accessories concept, "The Quarterly by Garrison Essentials" (www.garrisonessentials.com)

Background

This project started when I incubated an Accessories concept called "Essentials" in Toronto based tailoring company Garrison Bespoke. We'd release a new accessory online each month from our maker in Como, Italy and give a story and some context on why we chose that piece. The idea was to try and extend the experience of visiting your tailor, the feeling of connection and curation, to an online platform, using accessories.

We wanted to challenge the ideas around “search” and “choice” from the large online marketplaces and instead focus on "discovery” and “curation”. Small batch, tasteful goods curated by people who know best. No algorithms, no questionnaires.

The goal with this new concept is to keep things small and target the people who would actually appreciate it or find the discovery/refresh component useful for their day to day. This isn't about "scale" or client acquisition from a macro perspective. We are in a niche for a reason. We hear all the time about the casualization of the workplace and how the necktie is dead (which I don't believe to be true...I think how we wear it and why we wear it has changed) - so Im here because I felt we could potentially find people who would love what we are doing and spread from there. At the very least, we'd get awesome feedback, good or bad.

The response so far has been great for both the product and experience. People loved the curation and the ideas. Which led me to roll out version 2 - which is our Quarterly concept. The shift to a Quarterly 'subscription' or membership model was done based on the feedback from our clients. They loved the idea of a seasonal refresh and wanted it automatically. To be clear, this is not a 'box' company. Each Quarter is a curation based on our current palette - through our tailoring travels, experience, as well as our archive in Como. We do not buy overstock or junk.

Curation

We produce our product in Como, Italy. Each Quarter we design and craft accessories, direct from the makers, and cohesively curate them into collection sets. Collections are released Quarterly: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. Collection are produced in limited, small batch quantities at great quality. Collections are available online only, to members only. A new approach that allows for true value for made in Italy, high quality goods goods, coupled with a personal shopping experience designed to refresh.

We are able to keep prices low with our integration with our maker as well as our focus on building a community of members where we have no markdown strategy built in and can control the amount of units we produce.

The product selection / curation is a reflection of the seasons inspiration. In our "essentials shop" section you can get a better idea of the aesthetic of items we have launched in the past. It will always be changing: colour, width, and fabrication. Each Quarter will contain 4-6 accessories with a guarantee of 2 ties and 2 squares at a minimum.

Membership

$125 for each Quarter (cancel any time)
    $445 for the year (4 quarters).
    In each Quarter there is a guarantee of 4-6 accessories with a *minimum* of 2 ties and 2 squares. Our first Quarter: "spring" ships at the end of March.

My Invitation to the Style Forum Community.

For the first 100 Style forum members who purchase a subscription - I will include an extra tie on us. If you try us out by purchasing just the first Quarter, you can of course cancel after you receive Q1. Q1 ships at the end of March.

Have a look at the link below and thank you for reading!

www.garrisonessentials.com

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 8:04 AM

2. Garrison Bespoke

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019

3. Garrison Bespoke

Hey! Attaching a view images here of our aesthetic for quick reference.

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.04.36 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.04.44 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.04.52 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.00 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.08 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.14 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.25 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.52 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-11 at 10.05.59 AM.png

4. clhkg

clhkg Active Member

Very interesting concept! I noticed your name is Garrison Bespoke but I am guessing by the introduction I have read that we do not actually get to bespoke anything of the tie (width/ length) and/or the pocket square (size)?

Can you also share more of the construction of your tie and the source of your materials for the ties and PS?

5. Garrison Bespoke

Hey! Thanks for the reply!
    You are correct, its is not a customizable product offering. Garrison Bespoke is our partner for which I launched this concept with.
    I guess the key reason being is that is whole concept is about curation and discovery. Because we have our tailoring company background and we are immersed in what is happening in the space - we felt that we'd pursue an approach where we curated the items / sizes, fabrications and colours based on the palette that was inspiring us at the time (whether that be through our travels in Italy or our maker archive etc). I realize that when engaging a man more versed in style and tailoring it is difficult to opt-in to something like this as they are certainly specific with what they like. That is totally understandable. While I think they's still enjoy the product - we are probably better suited to a guy who is more open to ideas but definitely has tailoring taste.

The construction / materials are always changing. In our previous launches (you can see them in our "essentials shop"), we have produced 2-3 knit ties in different patterns - all 100% silk. We've also produced 2 Grenadines (Grossa and Fina). We did a woven tie in wool / silk where we used Zegna wool. So it all depends on what we are curating for the upcoming Q's. I can tell you that the 3 squares in the Spring shipment are all 10x10. We made them a touch smaller for a compact fold. For summer, we are going larger as we move into Sport Jacket season where a more pronounced fold is done. We produce in Como, Italy with our maker there and all of our fabrics are sourced from within Italy.

I think price sort of factors into the acceptance of a more discovery type model. I am not suggesting 125 per quarter is cheap - but it is good value for 4-6 items and therefore if 1 or 2 items is totally off for a clients taste - it still hold value.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

6. dynemacron

dynemacron Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Like @clhkg I'm curious as to the construction of the ties and garments? You write that the width will be changing, but is there some sort of range we could expect the width of the ties to fall in? Based on your examples with the pochettes, I guess you are changing the width / size of the items based on the fabric / pattern / season? Similarly, is there a general type of construction we would expect to see? The knit ties look lovely on the site, with lots of texture, but for the other, woven ties, are they always going to be lined three folds? Or do you play it up depending on the season? I see an unlined grenadine in one of your photos on the site, but a lot of the other style samples you posted in the thread I can't tell.

Similarly, are the pocket squares hand-rolled or machine rolled or flat stitched seams? I like the idea of varying the folds based on season, never thought of doing that; I've only ever considered types of materials or colors as deciding factors for seasons.

Thanks.

7. Garrison Bespoke

Hey @dynemacron ! Thanks for the welcome! Happy to be here!

The Quarterly concept is for accessories only (you mentioned garments in the post above, just making sure!). In terms of width, based on what we've made in the past / will be making in future - I'd say the absolute slimmest we'd ever go for a woven tie is 2.75inch/7cm - and the widest we'd go would be 8cm. And for our knits, in the past, we've gone a little slimmer at 6cm/2.5inch - as its more suitable for a knit tie.

Re: Changing width / size based on fabric / pattern / season - yes! Exactly. Season is key. We will mix in a knit tie, woven tie and so forth depending on the season and texture / inspiration. Because we are integrated with an existing tailoring business, we do, of course, take into account the sensibilities of tailoring client in general terms. For example, we know that not all guys like knit ties - some feel its too youthful or fashion-driven. So - we ensure that when we include a knit - its a heavy hitter classic. Like our Como textured knit or our zig zag knit. For the woven - we've done different tipping: Unlined (Grenadine Fina), self tipped (Grossa) and just a black satin (Our wool/silk tie). So far, all have been 3 fold. I guess cost plays a factor as well. Meaning, if we decide to emphasize a deconstructed Fina, unlined, which is super artisinal - we may then include a self tipped to compliment.

The pocket squares are machine rolled. For this upcoming season - we made 3 in 3 different patterns that have a sort of continuous theme. We went 10x10 as we wanted a more subtle approach but they all come together so nice (again, playing to the theme of the fabric and prints - we wanted to include 3 as a set, small compact approach etc). So you can see how things will change based on the the texture of the season.

I will say, we certainly do have a general aesthetic we lean toward. We are in the tailoring business, travel to Italy a lot and therefore definitely have a more subtle approach to our overall aesthetic. As an example - a basic tie with super shine - like a classic business power tie is something you may not see in the curation (of course - if done right, we may). We prefer a matted, textured feel. Again, not always, but for sure we do lean on a general aesthetic lens and based on where the tailoring world is a the moment.

Thanks again and hope this helps.

Anthony

8. dynemacron

dynemacron Well-Known Member

Thanks Anthony for the answer. And yes, I understand about it being only accessories--sorry about any confusion, I was wandering through your site and looking at the garments that Garrison makes as I started writing this.

And good to know about the general aesthetic--one of my concerns in signing up would be ending up with some shiny silk "cheap wedding feel" type of tie, which would just end up being given away. I think that matte, textured materials, with dusty, subdued colors tend to go over well with a lot of more classic menswear.

By the way, I have to admit I dig the polka dotted tone on tone ties you have on the site. I don't think I've ever seen that, since most often the dots are contrasting or just plain white.

Thanks for taking the time to go beyond just answering my questions!

9. Garrison Bespoke

Thank you @dynemacron ! Yes, we agree - our taste is as you described above. The goal with the concept is to target men who are actually interested in taloring and want to wear neckwear etc. I don't think ties are dead - I just think they've changed and most people still wearing 'their father's tie' so to speak.

Thanks again and yes, the Polka Dot tone on tone is one of our best. We actually dressed Garbiel Macht (Harvey Specter on the show SUITS) for the Royal Wedding last May and we made in a Bespoke version (he wanted it much wider) of our Tonal Polka Dot in Burgundy! Super exciting and picture below (hard to see the dots on it but there you go!)

Screen shot 2019-03-15 at 11.49.25 AM.png

10. dluce76

dluce76 Senior Member

Interesting concept - but for me, I never go below 8cm width, and am starting to favor 9cm. I think most here on CM favor the same.

11. Garrison Bespoke

Thanks for the feedback @dluce76 ! Understandable. For future releases - perhaps we go wider or just produce wider in our general shop.

Thanks again.
    Anthony

12. Garrison Bespoke

Hey Everyone - wanted to add a few more specifics about what we do and why we do it!

1. Price and Value - We look to provide exceptional value when compared to buying from popular niche neckwear brands. You can get the look, the style of knot that you'd expect from these brands but at a price that is easier on the wallet and gives you opportunity for freshness through our quarterly edit. We have driven the prices down through our membership approach and ability to produce in small batch quantities through our maker integration.

2. Aesthetic: Modernized Version of Classic - we design our pieces using our makers 85+ year archive. Formerly the maker of the ties for the Italian army and silk supplier to all of your classic Italian brands. We are integrated partners with them which ensures we have access to the history and know-how, while also being able to keep prices low. As an example, we construct our ties with a light interlining to pair with a fine but heavy Jacquard silk; creating that luxury feel and that beautiful knot men love. Matte silk gives you the option to dress up and down.

3. Ties for Men, People in the know - The Styleforum community represents the strongest concentration of classic menswear enthusiasts who take pride in dressing. With a respect for classics but a look towards what’s modern. We feel it’s extremely important to get feedback from the community to help with the development of what well dressed men really want for future collection development and curation. Previously we worked closely with niche market tie brands for Garrison ties and this informed our choice to go with with a wool interlining so the tie keeps its shape and drapes, and for the focus on a style that is contemporary yet ultra classic.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 9:39 AM

13. Garrison Bespoke

A few shots of from our curation time in Como a few months back.

Screen shot 2019-03-18 at 10.24.40 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-18 at 10.25.07 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-18 at 10.25.29 AM.png

Screen shot 2019-03-18 at 10.26.13 AM.png

14. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Senior Member

the whole concept of quarterlies is interesting. the products do look appealing. hope to find more about them from the experiences to be shared here.
    rterl

15. Garrison Bespoke

Thanks @stylish_raven ! I'm thinking I am going to post a few pics for the Spring Quarter this week! Will be awesome to see what the community thinks. Will be first to see it so will be great for feedback.

Stay tuned.