• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garnett and Kobe?

Eric

Reaction score
The Lakers are working on getting Garnett next season, and I don't think the deal is too otherworldly. Franchise players have been bouncing around everywhere the last few season so you can't really count it out. The only thing I can see as being too much of a deterant to this deal is whether or not KG wants to play with Kobe, it seems most players don't like him very much, but you could say the same thing about MJ early in his career (Isaiah anyone?).

Eric

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which players are the Lakers proposing to send Minnesota in exchange for Garnett?  The only ones Minnesota would want are Odom, Grant, and Butler, and I don't think that's enough.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Timberwolves are readying for a real house cleaning...Spree, obviously, is gone; Sam C will probably be traded for little or nothing; Wally was on the radio yesterday saying he wants to start and puts his own return at only 50/50. The Wolves are hamstrung by KGs contract and either have to rebuild around him with a bunch of mid-level role players, or move him for a pre-packaged team. I don't see Glenn Taylor moving KG.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I would think that KG would rather go to the Clippers than play with Kobe. KG's an perennial MVP candidate in his own right - why would he want to play with Kobe?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think that KG would rather go to the Clippers than play with Kobe. KG's an perennial MVP candidate in his own right - why would he want to play with Kobe?
To win a title.
wink.gif
Any playoff predictions? Should be a helluva run. koji

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I don't think it matters where KG goes ecause I don't see another team beating Detroit in the finals this year or next year. Don't get me wrong, I like KG, but I feel he will be one of the great players like Malone or Barkley that have no rings.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Minneapolis radio is saying today Sam Cassell wants to play with the Wolves next year...and that KG is pleased with the news. Since it is the last year of Sam's contract, one would expect a career season. Seems the only time Sam plays with a heart is when he's setting up his next round of negotiations.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good combo if it would happen. Contrary to his rep Kobe can distribute the ball. Ego's might be factor but Garnett doesn't seem to be domineering and Kobe has already had to defer in a leadership role. So I think they could compromise.
The Piston won't even come out the East, I'm still convinced last year was a fluke. Miami I see coming out the East and if Duncan is 100% San Antonio will definately come out of the West.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, has as much chance of happening as me being able to slam dunk a basketball.

Timberwolves are already going to clean house and rebuild around KJ. Why trade your franchise player if you've got nobody else? There's no point in freeing up cap space in MN simply because you'd have trobule getting free agents to want to play up there.

More importantly, the Lakers don't have the cap room for KJ.

That was why Shaq trade was so bad. Not only did the Lakers not get anybody good in return, they got stuck with contracts like Grant which don't expire until a few more years. The Lakers got no cap space to make any moves in the near future.

In LA, people turned on Kobe not because of the **** charges, but because he broke up a dynasty.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lebron and yao ming will both be wearing the purple & gold in the next couple of years. you heard it here first.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lebron and yao ming will both be wearing the purple & gold in the next couple of years. you heard it here first.

That would truly rock hard. Don't know how that could be managed, but that would rock.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In LA, people turned on Kobe not because of the **** charges, but because he broke up a dynasty.
Kobe's role in breaking up the Lakers is vastly overstated.  Lakers management didn't want to give Shaq the long-term deal he wanted because of his age and injury history.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C:

I'll have to disagree with that statement.

There was more or less an understanding that Kobe would not resign with the Lakers if Shaq was given an extension.

Even if the Lakers hadn't given Shaq the extension, they would have had for one more season together with Kobe. This year, they would have won it they had built a better team around Shaq and Kobe. Championships are such a rare thing, that you do whatever you can to win one when you have the chance.

And, who cares if Shaq walks out after winning the championship and you get nobody in return. That's basicallly what the Lakers got with Grant and a frustrated Odom. At least that way, you'd have plenty of cap space to sign free agents. I still don't understand why the Lakers didn't trade for Vince Carter or with Dallas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics