• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gareth Pugh to helm Dior

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't this guy on some sort of British reality show where he was a contestant at an atelier in Italy?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
allegedly his own line, but now more widely available. he did that one season of cerutti and did a small collection for a japanese label last year.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do people still really worry over Dior? I stopped looking after VOTC and that was... what... 2004? At the time and before that, nobody did better than Dior what they did. Now, there's lots of good options. I hope Pugh can bring his unique aesthetic to such a large house without getting swallowed, but the proof will be in the pudding.

The brand machine is active enough that they'll keep milking it for as long as they can, with or without a famous creative director.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Do people still really worry over Dior? I stopped looking after VOTC and that was... what... 2004? At the time and before that, nobody did better than Dior what they did. Now, there's lots of good options. I hope Pugh can bring his unique aesthetic to such a large house without getting swallowed, but the proof will be in the pudding.

The brand machine is active enough that they'll keep milking it for as long as they can, with or without a famous creative director.

It's still a big name and iconic menswear label of the past decade.

The knicks haven't been playoff relevant for about a decade but everything they do is still big news.

I know vanna wants to do him, but i never really like much of KVA's own line, let alone his stuff for dior. I know i'll definitely pay attention the first collection of his, where as if it were kva, i probably wouldn't even give it much of a look through.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
He didn't design clothes for men, kid. Although he did start allowing licenses for men's accessories under his label...

I just meant it seems silly to reduce the House of Dior to a few years of (admittedly good) collections by Hedi.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Eric Glennie.

I thought he was taking over for Margiela.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pugh was selected to participate in British reality show The Fashion House two months after his graduation,[3] which he would later call "horrible" and his "only other option [to being on] the dole."[5]

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It's still a big name and iconic menswear label of the past decade.
I suppose, but in that case, so is Dolce & Gabbana. Nevertheless, with both, I feel like hardcore fashion fans, who started with Dior and loved it, moved on and haven't looked back (especially since there have been some excellent alternatives). Dior was my "dream" brand all the way up through Luster.... meaning I loved it and followed it through the early seasons and got some of the key pieces, even when I had difficulty wearing it. It all just "clicked;" especially Solitaire and Follow Me. Anyway, past VOTC the dynamic of the brand changed and it became more "lifestyle" and more "how can we get hysterical Asian teenagers to buy everything we make, especially $250 tees?" KVA did nothing that impressed me much, though I'm not sure if it was all his fault or the fault also of accountants and "brand managers" at LVMH breathing down his neck.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I suppose, but in that case, so is Dolce & Gabbana. Nevertheless, with both, I feel like hardcore fashion fans, who started with Dior and loved it, moved on and haven't looked back (especially since there have been some excellent alternatives).

Word

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads