• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gap sacks Patrick Robinson as chief designer

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*yawn* Gap sells garbage clothes.

hastur

Reaction score
agreedo, gap/br has been garbage for quite awhile, mostly derivative junk one or two seasons behind

omar white

Reaction score
i disagree. i think some pieces have really stepped up the GAP/BR game lately, namely since robinson took over. i know for a fact that GAP has put the pressure on other similar market companies (AF, AE, etc) with increased marketing/advertising. not endorsing those brands in the least, but... i end up in GAP frequently (gf stocks up on their underwear) and actually bought a shirt last time...and not on sale (usually my precursor for reasoning any GAP purchase).. fit/cut was great.

Hollywars

Reaction score
I would say that GAP is a tier higher than your average high school fare, such as AF or AE, but I went in one and was not very impressed or pleased by what I saw.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's too bad...he was undone by the fact that the Gap brand itself is pretty toxic -- and the quality still sucks.

If you actually look at the clothes Gap put out under him it's a huge step forward (new denim fits, slimmer khakis). But I just don't see Gap as being hugely profitable ever again.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****, where will they possibly find someone who can make half-assed copies of whatever is currently popular?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I say garbage, I'm mostly referring to quality. Some of the designs are fine for basics but the shirts feel paper thin like they'll tear. And most do not launder well at all. It's just not a great value for the price. I did like their $90 selvedge jeans ok for the price though. Fit on the rest of their jeans has been terrible though and absolutely no consistency even within fits. I've stopped going into the store.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like GAP may have gotten marginally better over the last few years** but it is still what it always has been: absolute crap to anyone who actually "likes clothes." **There is one glaring exception and that was a brief (capsule?) collection of faded vintage-y floral prints I saw at the Toronto Bay-Bloor location filling all their windows for a couple of weeks, I think this was in the fall but I'm not sure (definitely within the last 6 months). It was absolutely heinous and hideous beyond my ability to articulate. An entire storefront of this (below) -- for girls and women, no recollection of menswear -- and **** me it was awful to look at. It was frankly unacceptable coming from anything but the official clothier of Black Creek Pioneer Village or some equivalent historical society, and I bet none of it sold. The Bay-Bloor store is always empty whenever I walk by, and it's in the primest of prime locations for selling clothes as far as Toronto is concerned.
gp764082-00p01v01.jpg

TintoTerra

Reaction score
I buy plain t-shirts there. Pretty good for a few months, and you can get them for like $11 on sale.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Clearly, he did a horrible job and there's really no argument against that point. Maybe management was too afraid to let him make drastic changes but Gap just has no identity or appeal to any segment and it's largely due to the merchandise.

PattyC

Reaction score
Meh recently I've taken a liking to their button up shirts, they fit my tall lanky frame perfectly.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Clearly, he did a horrible job and there's really no argument against that point. Maybe management was too afraid to let him make drastic changes but Gap just has no identity or appeal to any segment and it's largely due to the merchandise.
I feel this is easily what happened. Robinson can be a pretty acceptable designer from time to time but GAP was obviously too afraid of change. Still don't know why they allow their own company, BR, to eat at their market share with its denim, tees, and casual wear ringing up cheaper than its Gap counterparts.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a company like Gap the designer can make only so much of a change. It's not like he has free reign to do what he wants. Every major decision an collection has to get the sign off from merchandising, sales, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads