1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gap at the ankles of AE 5th Avenues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by illiterateabc, Mar 2, 2013.

1. illiterateabc

illiterateabc Member

I just got a pair of these Walnut AE 5th Avenues from eBay (my first pair of AEs), and I ordered them in size 9E. I knew for a while that my feet were a bit wide, but I measured my foot for the first time to order these shoes.

The toes feel great, but the ankles are swimming in extra space (that's me standing straight up more or less). Is this a case of getting too wide a size, or could this be because I have fallen arches and therefore overpronate? Also, the vamps seem to be close as I've tied my laces tightly to close the ankle gap...is this normal?

Does anyone else run into this, or has anyone been able to correct this with foot inserts/beds? I am trying to decide if I should return these for 9D or try some other style. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

Looks too wide. Is there a B&M store Nordstrom etc. close by to try on different sizes?
    Finding the correct fit by guessing is difficult.

3. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

It's way too wide. With a shoe that comes in as many width variations as this one does, there is no excuse for not getting a shoe that actually fits.

4. illiterateabc

illiterateabc Member

Thanks for the feedback. There's an AE store very close by, and I should just take your advice and get over there. That's too bad, I thought I had my size sorted, for once.

5. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

It's definitely a good idea to start at an Allen Edmonds retail store to get a feel for what fits you, and how different lasts fit you differently. AE stores generally have wonderful service, as well (at least, the two I've visited, one in San Francisco and one in Chicago, were great).

I bought my first pair of AE's at the San Francisco retail store, and I've since bought three more pairs on eBay.

EDIT: One other thing to consider is whether you're going to add an insole for extra support or not. My AEs are all slightly too big with just the factory insole, but I add Superfeet insoles to provide the additional arch support I need. Once those are in, they fit perfectly, as they take up about 4mm of vertical space in the shoe.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

It doesn't sound like you've lost anything. Head over to the store, dial your size in perfectly, and have a pair of shoes you'll enjoy for a long time.