• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gap at the ankles of AE 5th Avenues

illiterateabc

Reaction score
I just got a pair of these Walnut AE 5th Avenues from eBay (my first pair of AEs), and I ordered them in size 9E. I knew for a while that my feet were a bit wide, but I measured my foot for the first time to order these shoes.

The toes feel great, but the ankles are swimming in extra space (that's me standing straight up more or less). Is this a case of getting too wide a size, or could this be because I have fallen arches and therefore overpronate? Also, the vamps seem to be close as I've tied my laces tightly to close the ankle gap...is this normal?

Does anyone else run into this, or has anyone been able to correct this with foot inserts/beds? I am trying to decide if I should return these for 9D or try some other style. Thanks.

f800gs

Reaction score
Looks too wide. Is there a B&M store Nordstrom etc. close by to try on different sizes?
Finding the correct fit by guessing is difficult.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks too wide.
It's way too wide. With a shoe that comes in as many width variations as this one does, there is no excuse for not getting a shoe that actually fits.

illiterateabc

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. There's an AE store very close by, and I should just take your advice and get over there. That's too bad, I thought I had my size sorted, for once.

katabatic

Reaction score
It's definitely a good idea to start at an Allen Edmonds retail store to get a feel for what fits you, and how different lasts fit you differently. AE stores generally have wonderful service, as well (at least, the two I've visited, one in San Francisco and one in Chicago, were great).

I bought my first pair of AE's at the San Francisco retail store, and I've since bought three more pairs on eBay.

EDIT: One other thing to consider is whether you're going to add an insole for extra support or not. My AEs are all slightly too big with just the factory insole, but I add Superfeet insoles to provide the additional arch support I need. Once those are in, they fit perfectly, as they take up about 4mm of vertical space in the shoe.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. There's an AE store very close by, and I should just take your advice and get over there. That's too bad, I thought I had my size sorted, for once.
It doesn't sound like you've lost anything. Head over to the store, dial your size in perfectly, and have a pair of shoes you'll enjoy for a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads