• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gant?

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me anything about this brand. Stumbled upon it looking at ShopJake. Wondering if anybody can comment quality and fit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It's been around a looong time, one of the ivy league staple brands back in the 50s/60s

I think they were bought out by a Swedish company (feel free to correct) and they've retooled their look into a RL-wannabe brand. I actually like a lot of their gear...it's one of those brands that you need to look into if you're into Hickeystyle, Band of Outsiders, etc. and like a modern take on Americana/Ivy

The fit varies...some of it fits like a mall brand, some of it fits like a designer brand. Quality...seems ok enough.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Gant is an old school brand, they actually were defunct for a few years and came back as a European owned company specializing in classic Northeast style/Ivy Americana style clothing. I like a lot of their stuff in the catalogue and on the website, but have trouble finding it. The stores I have been in feature much more conservative clothing than is featured on the website.

bsyde82

Reaction score
which stores, besides jake, carry gant? i see some nice pieces randomly pop up here and there in magazines like details, etc., but even googling gant doesn't come up with anything

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
which stores, besides jake, carry gant? i see some nice pieces randomly pop up here and there in magazines like details, etc., but even googling gant doesn't come up with anything
There's a store list on their website, but I don't know if it's current: http://www.gant.com/www/northset.html

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I didn't know Oslos carried it out here. Weird.

mtmindc

Reaction score
Saw shirts for $40 at Filene's Basement and current collections at department stores in Montreal. At the same FB, they were also carrying Hickeystyle shirts and the quality was comparable. Didn't get a chance to try either on for size though.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like gant, pretty similar to a safer RL. Got 3 shirts which all are nice quality.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this brand knows what the hell it's about these days. I walked into their store on Fifth Avenue today to check out a cardigan I saw in the window. I was confronted by a wall of sweaters, ala Uniqlo, but all with the Gant logo and name. I'm guessing that this was the comparable line to RL's Rugby, but the logo will not make it work. The back of the store was set up like a Polo store, with comparable merchandise, though the sportscoats look a little better tailored. This seems to be the GNH store. Finally downstairs is their adult clothing. In presentation this seemed to be a little more fashionable than BB/HF sportswear - but the prices were RLPL. The cardigan I was looking for turned out to be cashmere and $650.

Overall the store and stuff was not really placeable on the spectrum of American sportswear ranging from J.Crew to RLPL; though pricing was continuously higher than I expected, even after living in New York for seven years. This confusion, combined with their lack of online presence, leaves me with the impression that this brand will remain a niche in the US.

cvac

Reaction score
I have a NOS vintage Gant tie that I like a lot. No idea about the current stuff.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your observations are pretty on-point. After they were bought by that Swedish company, they've had a sort of shotgun-approach to making clothes. Everything from cheap-ish sweaters to really lovely pieces at the higher end. They do well in Scandinavia doing this, but I'm not sure they'll reemerge as the cornerstone of Ivy trad they once were.

luvmalik

Reaction score
i got a jacket and it fits me really well, neva tried or bought anything else of gant though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics