• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Game of Thrones BOOK Thread: Spoil Away.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rooster connington is the only person still living who might know jons parentage.

R+L=J

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even after reading the wiki I can't recall/see how?

Because he was a friend of R.?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rooster connington is the only person still living who might know jons parentage.

R+L=J

Howland Reed knows. And Jon Connington was dismissed as Hand after the Battle of the Bells and went into exile. He might not have even known much more than the two ran away together. I doubt he saw Lyanna when she was with Rhaegar in Dorne.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Howland Reed knows. And Jon Connington was dismissed as Hand after the Battle of the Bells and went into exile. He might not have even known much more than the two ran away together. I doubt he saw Lyanna when she was with Rhaegar in Dorne.

D'oh, don't know how I forgot about Reed. ASOIAF knowledge is impressive. Question for you, who do you think the other 2 dragon riders will be?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

D'oh, don't know how I forgot about Reed. ASOIAF knowledge is impressive. Question for you, who do you think the other 2 dragon riders will be?

I think Tyrion will be one. His childhood dreams of riding dragons combined with one black eye and one green eye, white-blonde hair rather than regular Lannister gold, and the birth story told by the Red Viper of him tearing his way out of his mother and being born with a tail and scales just sounds too much dragon-like. Plus, the mad king lusted for his mother, so it's possible he was born from some union between them. Yet, Genna Lannister does say that Tyrion was always Tywin's son, not Jaime, so the foreshadowing goes both ways on that piece. I just see Tyrion as a dragon rider even if he's not partially Targaryen.

The third rider is completely up in the air to me. I don't think Bran will be- the winged wolf will be based upon his warging ravens. I can't see Euron/Victarion's plan working for dragon binding.

I'm not sold on Aegon, although that teaser chapter implies another Dance of Dragons. Dany would destroy Aegon if she had dragons and he had none, so perhaps he will gain one proving his status.

Jon Snow, I just don't know even though I am fully on board with R+L=J.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is basically right.
1. FrankenSandor is supposed to fight for Cersei in Trial by Combat with the champion of the Church. Only person in Westeros who might possibly beat Sandor is Gregor. Gregor now with the Church. Connect dots.

2. ADWD established that skin changers jump to nearest animal immediately before death. Jon will jump to Ghost. Body will be resurrected by Melisandre. Jon can jump back to body w/o any loss of soul. Conveniently, his "lifetime" obligation to N. Watch is paid in full.

Re: point 1, that would be amazing!

I think out of all the books, my favorite chapter was when the Viper fought the Mountain. Two other good ones were when Davos was on the Blackwater and realized everything was going to ****, and the chapter when Victarion Greyjoy was swashbuckling around killing everyone and warming up to the black red priest.

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some art:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

R+L=J

Didn't Bran see it (or at least something to suggest it) through the Weir tree?

salisboss

Reaction score

R+L=J

Didn't Bran see it (or at least something to suggest it) through the Weir tree?

He saw potential aftermath (Ned in the gods wood lamenting). But Howland Reed should know by virtue of the now last surviving member of the TOJ sure plot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GRM is a cock for starting this whole mess.

There is about zero chance John Snow is actually dead I just was reading somewhere about a theory that he will warg into one of the bodies in the ice cells and become a coldhands type of creature.

I hope he actually stops just tearing tearing down the characters he has built and starts bringing them towards some logical conclusion. While I hardly expect a traditional "happy ending" it would be nice if some of the arcs were carried to a logical and satisfying conclusion. e.g.Arya kills everyone, Tyrion works with Dany and so on.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GRM is a cock for starting this whole mess.

There is about zero chance John Snow is actually dead I just was reading somewhere about a theory that he will warg into one of the bodies in the ice cells and become a coldhands type of creature.

I hope he actually stops just tearing tearing down the characters he has built and starts bringing them towards some logical conclusion. While I hardly expect a traditional "happy ending" it would be nice if some of the arcs were carried to a logical and satisfying conclusion. e.g.Arya kills everyone, Tyrion works with Dany and so on.

Unlikely. Jon will warg into Ghost. Then his body will likely be placed into an ice cell, or burned by Melisandre (King's Blood and all). Remember, Melisandre's prophecy - man, wolf, man. Seems like that's warning and returning to his body. Also, when she asked to see Azor Ahai, she only saw Snow. Oh, and if R+L=J he's got King's Blood and she can raise a dragon (Targaryen) from stone (frozen solid).

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just one of many,many theories I've read. If GM followed any sort of logic I'd assume all the foreshadowing of men warging into their favorite animals upon death would mean something, but I could also totally see that never meaning anything at all. Gm being who he is its also possible that John is somehow a dragon himself, maybe that's the secret Ned was keeping, and John is raised from the "stone" of frozen death. Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll see Jon again.

R+L=J is one of the story arcs that I really hope comes to pass, I'm just afraid its too "obvious" and GM will decide to toss it out of spite.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it was just one of many,many theories I've read. If GM followed any sort of logic I'd assume all the foreshadowing of men warging into their favorite animals upon death would mean something, but I could also totally see that never meaning anything at all. Gm being who he is its also possible that John is somehow a dragon himself, maybe that's the secret Ned was keeping, and John is raised from the "stone" of frozen death. Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll see Jon again.

R+L=J is one of the story arcs that I really hope comes to pass, I'm just afraid its too "obvious" and GM will decide to toss it out of spite.

Born in smoke and salt is the hardest prophesy for Jon to qualify for. Obviously being born on Dragonstone helps that one. There was no fire reported at the Tower of Joy. Salt could easily be Lyanna's tears of hearing of Rhaegar's death. Dany was born on Dragonstone so she more easily qualifies. Hell, Stannis is partially Targaryen and his daughter has greyscale - stone men- and was born on Dragonstone. She has King's Blood. She could be Azor Ahai reborn. Aegon, who knows where he was born, if he's real. Jon Connington is turning to stone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics