• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Game of Thrones BOOK Thread: Spoil Away.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just finished. Couple of questions:

Who is Pate? I swear I read that name before.

Who is The Mage (The Archmaester guy)?

Tommen had a whipping boy named pate, but their not the same. It's commonly believed that the pate in the oldtown is actually a faceless man. The mage is the archmaester. The one. Who goes to find dany.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I always presumed he would return in some fashion.

Halfway through ASOS, and he's still around. Doesn't Dany get pissed at him, sends him through the sewers of *random slaver city*, then forgive him? or did I forget something?

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
Tommen had a whipping boy named pate, but their not the same. It's commonly believed that the pate in the oldtown is actually a faceless man. The mage is the archmaester. The one. Who goes to find dany.

Every time I read "faceless man" I think of the Creed song...

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Halfway through ASOS, and he's still around. Doesn't Dany get pissed at him, sends him through the sewers of *random slaver city*, then forgive him? or did I forget something?

Yes, but then she banishes him.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
Every time I read "faceless man" I think of the Creed song...
Never again equate the awesomwness of a faceless man with the vomit inducing lameness of creed.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took me a week to finish the first book and then I got hooked and finished the other three in three days. What I dislike about the tv series is that some of the awesome scenes were left out like the direwolves and battle scenes. Also a lot of the characters background details and thought process scenes are left out so that in the show the things they do seem stupid eg the tyrion scene about the dagger was left out, the targeryan baby killing, all lead up to Ned choosing to try and show the queen mercy and trusting littlefinger which in the show was left out and this made Ned seem like a total idiot. Which he is, but less so in the books Following is book four spoiler
does anybody think arya will be permanently blind and is brienne and the onion knight permanently dead? Also I don't understand what arya is doing. Is she training to be a faceless
Can't wait for five

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
does anybody think arya will be permanently blind and is brienne and the onion knight permanently dead? Also I don't understand what arya is doing. Is she training to be a faceless

1) I doubt it.
2) I don't believe so, but you never know with GRRM.
3) Yes.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really doubt Arya is going to stay blind. I beleive the kindly man says at one point something along the lines of "you will give your eyes, mouth, ears and so on" to the God.

I'm not even sure that Briene adn Davos are dead. The chapter ends with B yelling a name, but it might be a name that stops her captives in their tracks.

As for Davos, all we know is that a head and a shortened hand are on the castle wall. It could have been a trick to appease the Lannisters.

If either of those two are dead I will loose a **** load of respect for GRRM as a writer. Why set up both those characters, give them a POV, and then never really do anything with them?

GRRM really does spend a lot of time rambling around. He has two books to finish his story, really I think the jury is out on this series until we see how he resolves/ties together all the characters, plot lines, and drama.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I really doubt Arya is going to stay blind. I beleive the kindly man says at one point something along the lines of "you will give your eyes, mouth, ears and so on" to the God.

I'm not even sure that Briene adn Davos are dead. The chapter ends with B yelling a name, but it might be a name that stops her captives in their tracks.

As for Davos, all we know is that a head and a shortened hand are on the castle wall. It could have been a trick to appease the Lannisters.

If either of those two are dead I will loose a **** load of respect for GRRM as a writer. Why set up both those characters, give them a POV, and then never really do anything with them?

GRRM really does spend a lot of time rambling around. He has two books to finish his story, really I think the jury is out on this series until we see how he resolves/ties together all the characters, plot lines, and drama.

Three really, because #5 isn't out yet.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I really doubt Arya is going to stay blind. I beleive the kindly man says at one point something along the lines of "you will give your eyes, mouth, ears and so on" to the God. I'm not even sure that Briene adn Davos are dead. The chapter ends with B yelling a name, but it might be a name that stops her captives in their tracks. As for Davos, all we know is that a head and a shortened hand are on the castle wall. It could have been a trick to appease the Lannisters. If either of those two are dead I will loose a **** load of respect for GRRM as a writer. Why set up both those characters, give them a POV, and then never really do anything with them? GRRM really does spend a lot of time rambling around. He has two books to finish his story, really I think the jury is out on this series until we see how he resolves/ties together all the characters, plot lines, and drama.
Well Ned, joffrey, tywin, sandor, robb, small/greatjon didn't really do anything either. They're fine one page and then they die the next page. I think grrm feels a perverse joy killing of his main characters. Watches too much Hitchcock or something

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Only 1 more week
bounce2.gif

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Only 1 more week
bounce2.gif

I'm going to be out of the country on the 12th
ffffuuuu.gif

Luckily, I'll still be able to get it off PirateBay and load it onto my Kindle.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
Three really, because #5 isn't out yet.

Will it be seven books? I had thought it was six.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads